Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Three days ago I bought a new AR-24k for $375 and have mixed feelings. Fit and finish are very good--better than the various CZ's that I've owned. Solid construction and precision machining are evident. Accuracy is as advertized, and point-of-aim is where it shoots. The manual safety is improperly fitted and shifts between the two positions much too easily, but the fix will be simple after disassembly. After 500 rounds of three brands of factory ammo, miss-feeds(bullet up) smokestacks still occur at the rate of 1 per 35 shots.

Trigger pulls DA AND SA are heavy with terrific stacking in DA. Both should improve after use. I suspect that the extractor is the cause of misfeeds and can easily be remedied.

The company has asked me to return the pistol.

Do you guys have any suggestion or comments

Williejc

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Today, I talked to an Armalite person in the repair dept, and the great news is that he was helpful, courteous, and reaasured me that the issue will be resolved to my satisfaction. He asked me to ship pistol to them--which I did. We chatted a bit about this series, and he said that surplus Tanfoglio parts from that line are not used in the Ar-24 series.

This gentleman(Dave) appears to be a nice guy. He was not SLICK, just helpful.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
First off thanks for the report! keep us posted.

I have not examined the AR version but I have seen different approaches on CZ Clones to the safety. I admit, I like the original CZ the best from a functional perspective (from the perspective of taking it out and getting it back in is a whole 'nuther question!).

Even my Springfield Armory P9s (I have two) are different from one another. The later model has a safety that works entirely too smooth (it also has a rather large shelf). I imagine I could fix it but in a good holster I dont worry much about a safety.

Thanks again.

Jim H.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy Mr. Williejc,

Glad to hear that customer service responded as they did with your sir. I do recall some folks debating this newly released pistol. I am sure everyone would like to hear how things really turn out for you too.

Sounds like a great start, so please let us know your thought when you get it back and shoot it again.

twoguns

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gentlemen: I talked with the Armalite folks. The good news is that they are replacing the Ar-24c, and the new one is heading my way. I hope to receive it tomorrow or Wed. I get the idea that my old gun will undergo an autopsy. On my dime I'm sure that my gunsmith could have fixed it, but I was asked to return the piece.

Williejc

G

·
A brand new handgun. Now you can't beat that for customer service.

It' s not uncommon for new firearm models to have "rough edges," from even the best of manufacturers. Whether the "rough edges" disappear from the product, we'll just have to see.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Today, I received the replacement AR-24. No bad news. The good news is that it been 100% functional in 200 rds. Like the other one, fit and finish are very good/excellent. Accuracy--she shoots better than I can hold. Trigger pulls are better than the first pistol.

Armalite is off to a great start.

The best way to approach them is by e-mail; explain the problem; and include your phone number. For me, they reacted in a rapid and efficient manner.

Williejc

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy Mr. Williejc,

Thanks for the update on how they chose to respond with your problem sir. I think it does speak tons about their attitude in a very positive way. I have no way of knowing, but it almost sounds they pulled your replacement, and slicked it just a bit as way of an apology. Nothing wrong with that at all to me if they did.

Smith did much the same to me during a repair on a new LEO pistol I had purchased for duty. They solved the problem, and when I got mine back they had installed Trijicon nightsights for free. The note the repair manager included said it was to apologize for not catching the problem during quality control. I thought it was a nice gesture than showed a lot of class.

It sounds like you have found another company with class, and they deserve to be recognized as well.

The proof is in the shooting really, so please keep us posted down the road as you put more round through her sir. But congradulations, it sure sounds like you have found a keeper.

twoguns

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
HELLO,TWOGUNS: I do appreciate your interest and input.

Close scrutiny of the piece before firing showed no signs of extra attention to detail on the company's behalf--thus my opinion is that I got a stock gun. I did spend much extra time degreasing, cleaning, oiling with the result that I started with an immaculate gun. To improve trigger pulls(already better than other pistol) I judiciouly applied STP oil treatment to hammer/sear area and also to parts of the DA mechanism. This trick in not as messy as it sounds. I got the idea from gun writer Jeff Cooper 40 years ago. The result is fantastic.

The AR-24 series is closely machined with very tight tolerances. I predict that these pistols will require lots of a good lube and frequent cleaning--which they should get anyway. The factory recommends a 2-400 rd breakin period and stresses the need for proper lubing.

Williejc

·
Registered
800 Posts
The only DA semi I own is the Browning 380 BDA. I just haven't found one I liked yet but I have been reading about this AR24. I like what I hear and I think I'll just have to check this out a little more. Thanks for the information and let us know more when you have the time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The pistol is proving to be an excellent specimen. After getting an occasional misfeed during break-in, I polished the breechface with flitz and worked a tad on the front of extractor with same. Now , it runs 100%. Accuracy is excellent. Next, I will replace the mag springs with Wolff's extra power ones and have the extractor spring replaced with a stronger one. At this time, my gunsmith will tune the extractor, if needed. I realize that I am fixing something that ain't broke.

Williejc

1 - 13 of 13 Posts