Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there all,

I was in a hurry today to get to the range and shoot my new Springfield Armory Champion and wanted to clean the barrel quickly.

About 3 years ago, my brother had given me an Otis Technology universal gun cleaning kit, i.e. uses the cables to clean breech to bore and I pulled it out with some bore solvent to give it a quick cleaning to remove any oil/preservative from the barrel.

After returning home, again I was pressed for time and again did a quick cleaning with this ingenious system. (I cannot stand to have a firearm uncleaned around!)

Do anyone of you all use this ingenious system?

Chris

·
Registered
720 Posts
yes! on semi pistols and my rifles when I don't want to field strip and just do a quick bore cleaning. Then it's the only "quick" way to do that. Could even use it on revolvers but they have to be cleaned from the muzzle so I just push a patch with an aluminum rod.
The Otis is especially good for the long barrel on rifles.
og

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi there Max,

I am sorry. In my haste this afternoon, I forgot to post a link:

http://www.otisgun.com/

I can't think of a better way of cleaning a lever action rifle or a fixed reciever semi-auto and yes I do even use it on my revolvers.

Chris

G

·
I've tried something similar that I made at home.

I cut a length of polymer "Weed Wacker" line. With a hot soldering iron, I melted one end creating a little nub/button. I snipped the other end off at an angle so as to create a point. Push the pointed end thru the center of an appropriate sized patch and slide it down to the nub (wh/ prevents it from sliding off).

I created several different lengths to use as I deem appropriate for the application.

·
Regulator,
3,441 Posts
Gents,

I have one in my "grab 'n go" tactical set up...just for emergencies. Nice and small, but wouldn't us iton a steady basis.

Wes

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi there weshowe,

Do you ever use it for general cleaning?

Chris

·
Regulator,
3,441 Posts
Chris,

I don't use the OTIS system for general cleaning. I much prefer a solid(one piece) rod. Usually, a Dewey coated rod. Hope this helps.

Wes

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have used little else for several years, on rifles, shotguns, handguns. It does a great job, but perhaps the best thing about it is that you can take it with you. It saved me an afternoon's hunting when a pal jammed his barrel full of snow and mud. We cleaned it on the spot instead of having to go back to camp. The flex cable has surprising capabilities. I have seen the manufacturer remove 5.56 bullets jammed into the bore of a demo barrel. I have several kits -- a big one at home, small ones in my truck and day pack, one at the folks' place. For a quick cleaning, Bore Snakes are good, but you need one for each caliber you shoot. The Otis will clean anything as long as you fold your patches right.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts