Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Think thats what its called - the new compact 9mm offering from Kel-Tec.

I'm sure you will find both haters and lovers of KT - put me in the lovers. The P-32 I have, while not a heavy duty range gun has proven to be utterly reliable and accurate as need be, for its role (deep-cover concealment).

If reports are favorable of the P-9, then I'm going to start to give it a pretty hard look.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Hearing some very mixed reviews over on KTOG . . . you might head over there.

It's pretty much par for the course with K-T - I think they "beta test" in the open market. They'll get the bugs worked out eventually, no doubt. (Anyone else amused recalling their overoptimistic "out by May 2006" prediction? Man, did I get a lot of grief for mocking that prediction last year. ;) )

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm a huge KT fan, and my P3AT, unmatched as a pocket gun, has been totally reliable for me. The new PF-9, hot off the press, seems to be having some growing pains in its initial release. If you wait a while, the kinks will be worked out, and you'll get a great, light, thin single-stack 9mm gun with a lifetime warranty for less than $300.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I live about 20 mintues from the factory, and I heard from some guy that works there to wait a little while, and they will get it running right. It took a while with there other models. I got the 3AT and I had a few jams with Magtec ammo. I use WWB and Corbon. I load one then the other and so far no jams. Works for me.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hearing some very mixed reviews over on KTOG . . . you might head over there.

It's pretty much par for the course with K-T - I think they "beta test" in the open market. They'll get the bugs worked out eventually, no doubt. (Anyone else amused recalling their overoptimistic "out by May 2006" prediction? Man, did I get a lot of grief for mocking that prediction last year. ;) )
Yup!! They do!!

I was a beta tester for the P3AT!! Not by choice, mind you, that's just the way things turned out!!

It eventually took a complete rebuild along with a new frame, which means it was a brand new gun, to make the thing work!!

Point is, I'm not gunna run out and plop my hard earned cash on the counter this time!!

I commend Wilson over at KTR for being such a good sport!!
I hope he's on the KT payroll or at the very least they are helping to pay for his ammo!!

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hello,

Wilson is a good chap and has a lot of wisdom and experience with Kel Tec Pistols.

As a former member of forum, i.e. the KTR forum, I can attest to many members that experienced problems with the Kel Tec line. Mind you that none were ever intended to meet the service demands of a full frame all steel pistol.

I've owned the P-32, P-3AT and P-11. I never had problems with any of them, but they were all in at least their second generation of design and manufacturing!

I've moved on from Kel Tec Pistols. There are many other "better" choices out there and I personally expect more from my pistols than the Kel Tec line offers in durability and performance.

Chris

·
Registered
649 Posts
A guy at KTRange has one with 500 rounds thru it. To read his report..it is falling apart....
http://www.ktrange.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=5954

FWIW,
og
I see that people are trying to make a service pistol out of a "carry a lot-shoot a little" gun. It's a carry gun not a range gun... Make sure it works with your HPs and carry it. Shoot ever now and then to make sure you can still hit with it. That or buy a Kahr..

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
As having a bad experience with the Kahr P-9 personally (and, I have never seen one make it thru a whole magazine in IDPA BUG competition either), I eventually settled on a G26. While a micro, they shoot like rifles and are completely reliable. They are a bit of a drag on the old trouser belt tho'. I find myself looking for something lighter and flatter for the Dixie heat here in the Holy City. Chris, I think that in SC you appear to have settled on a J-Frame as I recall. I think I want to hear more about the KT-FP9 as a possible carry much, shoot little gun. I don't expect to use anything but ball and distance should remain within a phone booth. My main concern is reliability.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi there,

Unfortunately, I elected not to be part of the "beta" test market for any handgun and all of the Kel Tecs I owned were reliable with the loads I carried.

The trigger on the P-11 was the heaviest double action only trigger I've ever used on a semi-automatic and was engineered to be that way. Since I could only shoot it with marginal accuracy, I lost interest in it very quickly.

I never got around to the P-9 and chose the wiser course of buying the J-frame S&W 642-2, which I carry very often.

As my gun dealer once told me, there's not a whole lot to break if you keep it clean.

He was correct.

Chris

·
Registered
78 Posts
The PF-9 has been through 3 "generations" already. I would love to find a 2cnd gen. See www.KTOG.org which has a whole forum devoted to them. You will find an explanation from Two Pistol Packer, my personal KT expert. KTOG.org is not affliated with Kel-Tec CNC Inc. (tm) nor is it run by any employees.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Gun show next weekend. I may take the plunge if my dealer is there. A friend has a P11 in his pocket at all time and is thoroughly pleased. He uses ball ammo and I am wondering about that but we shall see.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
I did not wait for the show. I will disassemble it. Clean it. Lube it in accordance with the book of werds. And, on Sunday at the IDPA match, I am going to shoot it. Pray for success. My dealer remembered my bad experience with the Kahr P9 and did not think this would be better. I am only testing function and reliability. I do not plan to shoot it over phone booth distances. More to follow!

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hello Oberstlt,

Congradulations on your purchase and I will offer the same advice that I used to offer on the KTOG forum for about a year:

Clean the gun and magazine thoroughly before using. Kel Tec magazines are generally "gritty" when you first get them.

Lube the slide rails and lock up areas with Mil Tec or another type of firearms grease.

Yes, I said grease. You need a lubricant that will "stay in place".

I am sure you will enjoy your new Kel Tec and let us know how you rate the trigger pull, which was very heavy on my P-11. Please let us know how it does for you.

Chris

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Dear Chris: Thank you for the tips and I will clean and lube the whole thing today before heading to the range tomorrow. I will post a full report shortly. I have a good stock of Rem/UMC ball and some high performance ammo to test. Let us see if the black cloud is lifted from my head. Grease, where did I leave my grease? I hide things from myself these days. If it works ok, I plan to order a couple of extra mags and get a pocket holster & carrier for it. I do not expect this to shoot like a G26 and only hope that it will stay on an IDPA at 7 yards. Testing will tell. Regards, STA

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
OK, so here is the deal. Cleaned and lubed in accordance with Chris Stephens instruction (I found my old gun grease!). Before the club IDPA match, I went to the Bulleye range and set up an IDPA target. Loaded with 7 rounds (the mag will only take six) of ball (Rem-UMC 115 FMJ), I closed my eyes and pulled the trigger. All went bang and actually hit the target from 7 yards (rather nicely as I was yanking the stuffing out of it). I went throught about 1/2 box of ball before converting to 124 Gold Dot +P. No luck. Jams in each of the several mags I tried. Switched back to ball and no issues. The gun is ok in accuracy - not a G26 but ok. I did not use it for the following match and don't think it will take mounds of beating. But, Tuesday when my dealers have recovered from the gunshow down the street, I plan to lay in a small supply of mags. Then I am going to order a pocket holser and pocket carrier. I plan to continue testing it over the next few weeks to see if it holds true. I have carefully cleaned and lubed it again and put it back in the safe until next weekend.

Part of the thing is that I am one of those old codgers who think that brick & slate are how homes are built (as opposed to tyvek and vinyl). I resisted the Glock as long as I could but was absorbed into the Borg (Resistance is Futile!). I still like my 1911s and my S&W revolvers but that darn plastic stuff works good enough to get by at short distance.

I plan to continue to experiment with +P ammo but believe that to be driven by the shape of the ogive of the bullet more than anything else. We will continue to bang away and report. Note that the G26 has yet to be sold and the M36 Chief will always be available for backup duties.

Oh, Chris, the trigger pull is ok but nothing else. However, remember I am a old revolver hand and don't care much about the trigger pull. Probably why I don't win matches!

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
In an update, I got three (3) more mags and have found that it really does not like the 124 +P GD ammo. I will try some others but it is reliable with ball provided you do not limp wrist it. You just grab it like you mean it and it will function completely reliably. At 10 yards, it will stay in the -1 on an IDPA target if you do your bit. More to follow on testing for other +P ammos.

Now I need to find a pocket holster and a pocket mag carrier. UM makes something that might work. We will see...

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Today after the IDPA match I put another 50 rounds of ball through the PF-9 without malfunction but none of my 115+P JHP would make it through with any reliability at all. Win, Fed or Rem. I have not tried the CorBon yet or any of the personal defense ammo. Still working on it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts