Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my BDM back from the guy who bought it from me about six years ago. I told him when I sold it to him that if he ever changed his mind to give me first dibs on it. I can;t remember why I sold that thing. I gave the guy a deal on it and when he called, all he wanted was what he paid for it. When he bought it from em, I gave him two boxes of Winchester 115 grain SIlver tips with it. He gave me the ammo back less five rounds with the gun. It needs a good cleaning and oiling from being stored, but outside of that the gun is A1 condition.

Anyone else own one of these fine guns?

G

·
Yes, I have one. This is the story, insofar as I am aware.

The pistol was conceived for the law enforcement market due to the wholesale swing to the autopistol by U.S. law enforcement in the 1980's and appeared on the scene in 1991, according to my references. With its dual-mode action (BDM = Browning Double Mode) it certainly tried to be everything to everybody. (A BDM Practical Model and and BDM Silver Chrome Model (only 119 mfg.) were also marketed. De-cocker and DAO variants were introduced in 1997, called the BPM-D and BRM-DAO models, respectively. I've never encountered any of these other models.) The handgun wasn't manufactured by FN in Belgium like all of the other HP types, but by an industrial manufacturing company in Utah, I believe. For some reason the pistol couldn't get a toe-hold in the marketplace and was discontinuted in 1997. (I guess its problem was that it didn't have a plastic frame.)

G

·
Let me say this, my BDM is the second most accurate 9mm I have ever fired. The Walther P88, I sold, was more accurate but it cost one hell of a lot more. The reason the BDM did not fly was it was a 9mm in a 40 S&W market. The BDM is a great gun and it is even better now that high capacity magazines do not cost $100. Regards, Richard

·
Registered
160 Posts
My understanding is that the Secret Service wanted the gun but kept changing the parameters -- including being able to handle regular rather than occasional use of +P+ ammunition -- and the manufacture couldn't make the changes in the time alloted. (One year).

Ed

·
Registered
7 Posts
i have one and it is very good.
i did replaced the small springs that are ontop of the firing pin block-safety with weaker ones so the trigger pull (single action) was not so creepy, this helped and the safety still works.

im thinking of making a frame block to the palm side of the frame so a normal set of grips could be used. i had to file off the right side thumb rest off of the grips, it was sharp and did not feel right under the right hand.
i was thinking of getting some spare parts for it. i think the trigger to hammer parts looks a bit weak.
any one have any problems with it braking any parts?
kychas

G

·
Just joined the gang Today-Feb 15 07, have had a Bdm 2 tone, and a buncha mags (CDNN sells a 10 AND a 15 shot for about $35-the pr.) I had trouble W/ the gun jamming- until I oiled it better (it was WAY too clean), now it rocks- very accurate, and fun. They are great guns.

G

·
I've never seen one ever (and I look at many hundreds of different handguns a year). It could be the BDM Practical Model.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good gun. Only concerns are the heavy double action pull and the lack of avliable leather. Any advice on holsters?
I use a holster for a Beretta 92 that a shoe maker trimmed down for me. Does fine.

Now my only problem is that my wife stole the BDM. She is using as her purse gun now. I never get to see it anymore. 8-(

·
Registered
559 Posts
I used to have a BDM and sold it a few years ago because I was going overseas. I didn't like the long mushy trigger pull. Having said that, it was accurate but took a lot of contol to get off a good shot. It was a novel concept and an interesting pistol.

Have read about other models (BRM and one other). but have never seen them. Would like to shot the DAO.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The BDM had many innovative features, above and beyond the obvious (the convertability from a DA/SA to DAO action)-the mainspring was a unique (and effecient) "mousetrap" configuration, the receiver frame was very thin for a double-stack magazine gun, and the gripping grooves were niched in, with a slightly more protrusive rear flange, making slide manipulations easier, and there was checkering provided on the back face of the slide(adjacent to the hammer) aiding in re-holstering.

On the negative side, the multi-fuction lever worked in "reverse" to many guns, and required multiple manipulations when using it to put the slide into battery from slidelock-once you used the lever to do that, you then had to manipulate it again to release the safety. The grips, while slim, I found to be somewhat uncomfortable. Accuracy was middle-of-the-road, both on my personal gun, and on several of the tests/reviews printed up in the media. As I recall, Shooting Times conducted a high round count test, in a limited time, and the gun did not fare particularly well regarding durability during the test. The rear sight, similar to a Novak sight on steroids was polymer-while I didn't encounter any problems with mine, I would have preferred for it to have been steel for durability. The finish appeared to be a dead-flat form of parkerization, and was not particularly attractive, and did not seem to be particularly durable.

When I had mine, I asked Novak if they would do any work on it (thinking of sight replacement and an action job)-they flatly refused.

15 round magazines were rare, and VERY difficult to get a hold of, and when you could, they were at ridiculous prices, even given the Crime Bill period. I believe that they are fairly easily obtainable today, at reasonable prices.

At the very end of its production, FN produced some with a revised lever, and also made some finishe in hard chrome. I believe most of them were sold at blow-out prices through CDNN.

I had one, and used it for carry and steel plate competition for a period, before trading it. The gun had considerable potential, but also has some stumbling points. I think that it's like the HK P7-best if used to the exclusion of anything else, so you achieve muscle memory on its specific, and somewhat unique features.

Best, Jon

·
Registered
932 Posts
Does "had" count? Great pistol, I had the misfortune to have bought mine early in the Clinton ban years so it had only ten round magazines. I decided that I'd be better served by an eight round .45 instead of a ten round 9mm so I traded mine. At present, were I to find one and being able to buy full capacity magazines, I'd go for one it in a heartbeat.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts