Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my FEG PJK-9HP will function fine with all brass case ammo from a number of different countries including surplus ammo but when its come to new production steel case russian ammo forget it all it does is stick in the chamber. pistol has had about 500 rds put through it so its broke in but doesnt like steel case ammo at all. anybody here got one that doesnt care for steelcase ammo?

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi there,

Yes, my FEG PJK 9 HP will not cycle steel cased ammo reliably and I won't use it again in any of my HP's. Steel cased ammo does not have the same tensile characteristics of brass and unless you have slightly oversized chamber will not feed/extract reliably.

While cheaper by the box, steel cased ammo is not worth the problems it creates.

Chris

·
Registered
134 Posts
What Chris said.....
Also, alot of times the steel casings have a laquer applied to them that, when heated by the cartridge being fired, allows the laquer to build up in the chamber. I've actually seen the process happen in a MAK 90 that we shot as little as 100 rounds thru. The cases started sticking in a AK style firearm....know to feed and fire rocks...LOL
I would suggest you stay away from that stuff, and if you do wish to shoot bulk ammo, go with the Winnie white box or the CCI blazer stuff.

Best,
Chris~

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I won't use it. I had one bad experience with it, and that's enough. It's not that much cheaper than Blazer or White Box Winchester.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Simply, there is a reason most ammo is cased in brass and has been since the begining............ think about it.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I shoot steel cased ammo in my Com-Bloc weapons (SKS, Makarov, Mosins) without any problems. My Sistema 1911A1 loves Wolf. However, I will not use steel cases in my HPs or anything not really designed for them.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I once bought a 1000 rounds box of 9 mm para steel cased ammo. Very cheap. Mark was Koop (or Coop), coming from Russia or Czechoslovakia. It produced a big flame, loud noise and... FTE in most of my guns. Later I heard that import had been stopped, due to high pressure and cracks (extractor, slide, frame) in some guns. It was in fact ammo for SMG and I fired the rest in my HK MP5, with impressive results... but I will never buy it again!

Bye.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi there,

Yes, my FEG PJK 9 HP will not cycle steel cased ammo reliably and I won't use it again in any of my HP's. Steel cased ammo does not have the same tensile characteristics of brass and unless you have slightly oversized chamber will not feed/extract reliably.
Chris
Exactly. Brass is more "springy", so it swells when the round fires, but shrinks back more. Steel undergoes more of a NON elastic deformation due to internal pressure at firing, so it stays tighter in the barrel throat after ignition and requires more force to remove.

That screws up the gun's unlock cycle and "steals" recoil energy that otherwise would be trasferred into rearward motion of the slide.

Result: not enough energy gets into slide motion to cycle properly.

It can also break extractor hooks because of the increased "pull" force required to get the case out of the barrel.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Hello. I agree with Bountyhunter and others who do not use steel-cased ammo in firearms normally intended for use with brass casings. I do shoot it in Maks and AK's, but not Hi Powers, Colts, etc.

Best.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I only shoot steel case ammo in AKs and .45(very rarely in .45). Since I find WWB or CCI Blazer to be sometimes CHEAPER than steel case amoo in 9mm and even occassionally in .45, I prefer it. I've never had a problem firing steel cased ammo in any gun however.

-Rob

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have never had a problem with steel cased ammo, because I won't use it in any of my guns! Sorry, but I am not going to expose the parts of my pistols that were designed to function with soft brass cases to the abuse of hard steel, and I have no hope that the lacquer coating will offer any protection. Cheap ammo is great, but cheap ammo that increases the wear and tear on your guns is expensive in the long run.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Check out the owner's manual for a Ruger P Series pistol. It states specifically that steel-cased ammo is not a problem for the Ruger. I think this go-ahead is the only one I have seen directly from a pistol's manufacturer. The manual also states that all factory ammunition, regardless of velocity, is good to go in the P Series pistols. This situation makes for much guilt-free shooting with the Ruger. In contrast, H&K, in its owner manual for the P-2000 pistol, specifically states to use brass ammunition only. Who needs daintly and delicate handguns? The HP is one enough for me. I will only shoot American-made brass ammo in it. My Ruger P-89 gets anything and everything else.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I use wolf in all my pistols and have not had a problem to date.Even my old sigma has
hundreds of rounds of steel casings through it with no issues! I will continue to buy
cheap range ammo so I can shoot more!If pistol breaks I'll send it away for repair no
big deal;just has not happened yet.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I've shot a lot of Wolf in my Makarov, but they're made for steel cases so I'm not worried about them at all. Back years ago, I shot some GI surplus steel case, 45 ammo in a Colt 70 series, 1911, with no particular problems that I recall.

I've never shot any in my 9mm's. Around here Wolf 9mm costs as much as WWB, or Rem-UMC and the only place that sells it that I know of is Gander Mountain, and my wife doesn't let me to in there as much as I'd like because I always find a gun that I want. The other stuff I can get at Wally World.

I might pick up a box of two of Wolf and try it in my Hi-Point. Everything else works in it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I won't shoot steel cased 9mm Para in my pistols. I used the box I was given as a gift in my Smith and Wesson 940 revolvers for practice. Same is true of the Wolf .45 ammo I was given. I use it in a old Smith and Wesson 1917 for practice. Steel on steel is not good for extractors....accelerates wear. We don't need that.

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Why would you shoot steel cased 9mm when you can buy 100 rounds of winchester brass cased for $11.50 at Wal-Mart?
I tried it in my mini thirty (wolf ammo) because of the cheap price and had nothing but ftf's.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts