Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there all,

Maybe it will have to wait until the Shot Show, but has anyone seen/test fired the new S&W M&P?

The most informative article that I have found so far is here:

http://www.defensereview.com/article777.html

But, I am wondering if anyone has seen one in the market yet?

Chris

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I have the promotional DVD here, and my shooting buddy is ordering one in .40, with expected delivery sometime in the spring.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Sorry to be negative, but when an honorable brand like S&W has to name new issue semi auto pistols for model names long associated favorably with revolvers --i.e: Chiefs special and Military & Police ( M&P)-- then I just get totally turned off. Selling sizzle when the steak ain't so hot? Desparate to catch up?
Be it known here & now, I own a bunch of S&W revolvers, but my collection of 2 Semi Smiths won't grow any larger. Just my 2 centavos. :( G>M>F>

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I'm not a fan of S&W autos either, as a rule, and "M&P" will always mean wheelgun, whether it's a Model 10, a 58, or one of the older, large bore guns.

From the looks of it, the new S&W M&P is nothing but an updated Walther. I won't be buying one, as I have the token plastic gun and don't need another.

G

·
Hehe, you boys don't know, do you?

Updated Walther?

No such thing.

This is a brand new design. According to Charlie Petty, it's also quite innovative. It's the first polymer gun to require no trigger pull for takedown, and it is more ergonomic than any other polymer gun currently in productio, with three interchangeable palmswell/backstrap combination pieces. It also has an exceptionally low bore axis, and magazine capacities identical to the near-bottomless Glock.

Get this, though: Apparently, this thing has a Double-Action-Only trigger that is comparable to a Smith revolver!!

Examples thus far have run hundreds of rounds with no malfunctions, and have been superbly accurate.

As much as I will always be a fan of steel, I have to say that this gun seems to deserve the M&P name:

Original M&P revolver: Reliable, effective, and affordable no-frills tool of the soldier or officer of the law.

New M&P autoloader: Reliable, effective, and affordable no-frills tool of the soldier or officer of the law.

This gun is the single great hope for a truly American entry into the polymer market, and I think we'd all do well to get behind it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts