Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to shoot my 41 Magnum Smith & Wesson Model 58 next year in IDPAs Stock Service Revolver Division. In the ancient days, when I could still see my feet, there was the hunting load and the police load. The police load is history now in my area so I am trying to reload to duplicate the 210 grain SWC to 900+- fps. It has been a challenge. Light loads make extraction difficult and the standard deviation makes accuracy not acceptable. Any one got any experience in working with this dinosaur?

·
Registered
363 Posts
I've got a Model 58 and a four inch Model 57.

I worked up a handload that virtually duplicates the original 210 gr LSWC police load.

I cast Lyman #410610 which is a 215 grain SWC gas check design. I load it minus the gas check over 7.0 grs Win #231 with a WLP primer. This load chronograph's at 910 fps in the 58 and 901 in the 57. It shoots to point of aim in the 58 at 50 feet and I've had no extraction problems with this load in both Smiths and a Ruger NM Blackhawk,

I don't understand why a light load would give difficult extraction in your Model 58. Are the chambers rough?

Roadster

·
Registered
354 Posts
What powder/weight are you using? Extraction with a 210 gr. @ 900 fps should be very easy due to low chamber pressure. I had a mod. 58 yrs. ago. It's one of my "never shoulda sold its".

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and comments. My loading experiments continue but I have yet to get a range day in to report my latest experiences. I have checked the chambers for any roughness and have not found any but from time to time when I have under loaded a cartridge, I have gotten sticky extraction. I initially tried 231 but was unable to get any satisfactory results. I then tried both Unique and SR 4753 (?) - no luck achieving the desired velocity. I am currently experimenting with Trail Boss of all things. But as I said, I have to get out for a session with the chrono.

Nice grips Richard! Bill Jordan would be pleased.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Nope, no interest from me. :)

I got really good accuracy with a 210 cast SWC over eight grains of Unique, which gives somewhere in the neighborhood of 900 fps. Cases fall out by themselves. I have no idea why light loads should be hard to extract, but I might look somewhere other than the load itself to find the source of the problem.

My first step would be to double check my load to make sure I had the right powder, the right amount of powder, and the right diameter bullet. A slightly oversize bullet might raise pressures without raising recoil appreciably. Just a thought.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi there,

The very first handgun I ever bought was the S&W M-58. It was accurate and powerful with factory loads.

I bought a M-57 a couple of years later and traded the M-58 away. I have long regretted the decision to part with that revolver.

Chris

·
Registered
363 Posts
I bought my first Model 58 back about 1981.

It was a 1964 first year production and it looked bad. Finish mostly gone, dings and scratches just aabout everywhere, and the original Magna grips were barely recognizable under all of the grime. Its owner had used it as a fishing tackle box gun and I doubt he ever cleaned it.

I wasn't interested in this sad looking beater, but the $50 price made me change my mind.

I cleaned it up as best as I could and fitted it with a set of Packies. Took it to the range and it shot to point of aim with my handloads. On the second trip, I mounted it in the Ransom Rest and it gave 2.5 inch groups at 25 yards with my .41 police handload.

I took the 58 to a gunsmith who beadblasted it and refinished it with a light grey phosphate. He had a set of Herret's Trooper grips on hand and fitted them just right. Now I had a decent trail gun for only $ 200 invested. I made the mistake of showing it to a .41 Magnum fanatic who just had to have it. I sold it for $300 which I used to finance the purchase of a Model 52-2 .38 wadcutter gun.

I've always regretted selling that 58 even after I found a nice 95 percent specimen for $350 about ten years ago.

Roadster

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have a Model 57 with the 8 3/8" barrel that I use for hunting. It is awesome -- so accurate. I have watched a buddy of mine (who is a better shooter than I am!) take down the rams at 200 meters with it, shooting off-hand. I can do it, too -- with a sand-bag rest. Great hunting handgun.

I would love to have a Model 58 in the 4" version. What a great carry piece that would be. Thanks to all who posted pictures of theirs. Richard, yours takes the cake. What a beauty!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've always wanted a model 58! I can never find one when I have the money,or if I do have the money I can't find one that isn't beat up. .41mag is my favorite Wheelgun caliber.
Nice Piece!!

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Great gun and caliber. All of my .41s are super accurate though I have not worked much with them in the last few years as far as loads go.

In the old days, Unique gave fine "mid-range" loads. If you are shooting IDPA and want to just get a fine shooting load that does not meet any ballistic criteria (other than making the minimal Power Factor) then you might try Tight Group which is said to be consistent no matter how the powder is oriented.

I only have minimal experience with this powder in .38 spl but it seems to perform as advertised.

Jim H.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
KY - thanks I will try to find CNC on line! Keep them making Old Fitzgerald for me.

Recently I have been experimenting with IMR Trail Boss powder and 210/215 Keith bullets with some success. It meters well and seems consistent but I am experienceing operator errors with the old Pact PC2 Chrono. I will try again soon.

I have recently ordered a new kydex holster from COM and a set of carriers from Pistolpacker for my experiment in the 2007 IDPA competitions. I will let everyone know the outcomes on these things.

Thanks to everyone.

G

·
The 41 Magnum is a great caliber. One of my favorites. I own several, however no M58's. Mine are a 4" M57, 7 1/2" Redhawk and a Gary Reeder custom 6 1/2" Ruger Old Model.

I have taken deer, antelope, javalina and dozens of Jacks with the Custom. Someday, I will find a 58 that isn't priced in the stratosphere. Someday.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The great IDPA experiment for 2007 Stock Service Revolver begins for me next month. The old S&W M-58 is cleaned, the new COM kydex holster is on hand, the ReadyTac SL carriers are on order as is 300 rounds of GA Arms 41 Mag Cowboy Load (210 @ 800 fps). I am as excited as if I had good sense! I will keep eveyone posted on progress. Thanks for the good words on the 41 - we need more big bore fans.

·
Premium Member
1,496 Posts
The original 10mm magnum. I seen one at the last show NIB for $550. Whew that was a nice looking classic wheelgun.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I used to carry a 4" m57 as my primary duty weapon when I worked homicide/armed robbery. I had it magnaported and metalifed, and carried a 210gr Sierra JHP behind 10.x grains of Unique as my duty load. The police load was too light and the hunting load made quick follow ups impossible for my uses.

Sadly I let that one go years ago when I started carrying autos, and have always regretted it. It was my favorite revolver caliber, and all I can say is it never let me down on duty.

If you are still looking around for a powder, I would check the Accurate Arms website and lood at number 5 or 7. If I were still loading for it these days, I have had such great luck with the Accurate powders in everything, that would be much choice.

Good luck shooting it - I really hope you smoke em all and show them boys how it should be done.

twoguns

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Report on the experiments with Trail Boss: TB will fill the case but a 10% boost in powder only gives a 10 fps increase. Thus, I will stick with the 6.5 grain results at a chronoed 775 fps. Good enough for me. However, GA Arms has a great cowboy load that is cleaner and chronos at over 800 fps on average. First match in two weeks - I am rested and ready if not tanned! I need to practice up on my reloading techniques! More later. Regards to all 41 Gunners out there.

G

·
I have nothing to add re: handloads for the .41....I'm way out of date, but used to own a nickelled 57 and presently own a Redhawk 5" .41 and developed a med velocity target load for them using a 210 grain SWC with no GC and Bullseye as a the propellant. Worked great, but pretty dirty.

I'd like to get another 57/58 and a 4 5/8" Blackhawk as well.

You are simply going to have a big bore blast with that 58 at the shoot. I love to take old iron to those events while everyone else is shooting auto race guns. Shows that a big bore wheelgun stills gets the job done.

Bob

1 - 20 of 21 Posts