Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. To go along with my '60's Colt Agent, I wound up with a 60's vintage S&W Model 10 snub a time back. A friend of mine grinned when he saw it and I knew why. It appears to be all "handle."

This revolver had little use and but one minor blemish on the rear of the frame. The hammer had been bobbed by some previous owner; he did a good job and I'm leaving it as is.

This is not the most "efficient" gun for .38 Special, but remains one I sort of like. I suspect that's because in my early years as a police officer, I saw Model 10 2" guns in many detectives' holsters.

I'd have preferred one with the round butt, but square was it or nothing in this deal so I took it. That said, most of the snubs I recall seeing toted were the square butt, usually with a grip adaptor.

Many other handguns of this size and weight are capable of delivering a more potent ballistic punch, have more shots per loading, or both, but I just like the old thing.

This one goes to the range now and again, but that's about it.

Anyone else have one or more of these revolvers?

Best.

G

·
I owned a 1969-vintage Model 10 2-inch, also with the square butt. I've always preferred the SB configuration since it gives me a bit more control for fast repeat shots than does the round butt. It was a great shooter but after a while I decided to go with a .357 3-inch. Basicially the same size overall but with some more OOMPH! In those days I didn't have the economic luxury to keep a second CCW K-frame, so the gun was traded towards the Model 13 that replaced it. :'( A shame. Wish I still had it. 2-inch K's are very nice guns.

G

·
Back some time ago I purchased a 2" round-butt model 10 "just because". I really like the thing. According to some it is "too big to be a small gun and too little to be a big gun" but I just like it for some reason. I have several more powerful guns for carry and competition that aren't much bigger but there is something about a short-barreled K-frame Smith that speaks to me. Even went back and bought a 2" Model 64 NY-1.

G

·
Steve, my grandfather inherited one of these to me, it's the same gun you show biut is Ca.1968, right now is resting in the safe, a good friend of miner filled the leterring and the s&w logo with some kind of old gold paint and I added a set of bonded ivory grips with s&w medalions.

The gun is very nice and I can tell you is my BB gun.

Manny

Note.-as soon as posible I will post a pic of it.

G

·
These revolvers have one drawbakc for me. For shooting range sessions thaye are great but for concealed carry as some one said here:
"too big to be a small gun and too little to be a big gun"

Manny

G

·
Here you have mine Steve, basically a stock gun sans a set of wolff springs+bonded ivory grips and gold lettering and logo Ca.1968.

Manny

G

·
;) I've got one of these too! Mine is a M-10-7 2" RB from 1979 and is in perfect condition. Best of all....It is a real pleasure to shoot compared to my M-36 J frame. I love the K frame....I have four of them. Only one J frame for CCW purposes. The compact size is easier to conceal.
I do carry the M-10, when I can wear a good cover coat. I actually prefer to have a gun that I can shoot well, but the J is just so handy to have stuck in a pocket!
Both my CCW guns do double duty as house guns, and are always ready to go. The M-10 makes a good house gun, that is easy to handle. That is it's primary role.
While the .38spl is an old cartridge, it is still a great round for self defense purposes. Ammo mfgs. have developed new loads in .38spl., to go along with the new guns from S&W. I don't think this cartridge will ever be obsolete. They are still developing new guns in .38 spl.!
BobK

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello, Manny. Very nice revolver you have there and I appreciate the really good pictures. I believe your gun is in better shape than mine.

Best.

·
Registered
69 Posts
If you'll ever need it for self defense, you need to turn the frontstrap spring pressure screw all the way back down. Backed out is fine for the range but in self defense it has to fire regardless of primer hardness.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
I passed up on a 2" adjustable sighted & I think round butt some years back. That is one decision I would like to change.

Thanks for the good photos......

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hello, I have a Mod 64-2 that is in very nice shape. They are fun to shoot at the range. And I do find that the older shooters will come over and look and talk about the one they wish they had not let go. And it is fun to show the younger shooter how to shoot a double action revolver. The weight to power factor is not that good, but the fun factor is way up there. Also here in New York in the winter you do not have walk the target that far out in the snow.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Yes, it may have been a M15. A blued steel 6 shot K frame and now I believe it would have been a nice .38 to have. S&W has made quite a few different .38s, & I don't know the model numbers of them. But it was very nice, and the person who did buy it was very happy.........

1 - 15 of 15 Posts