Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Perhaps this doesn't belong here but it could affect my shooting, so we'll see:

I went and shot a couple games of pool and had a couple beers last night. That's it. I noticed my pinkie on my left hand start losing it so I figured last night was not a good night to be doing this.

I woke up and it's still about half numb, not tingly though.

This happens to various toes when I'm on my feet a lot, but always to a sharp quick pain I attribute to a nerve getting tweaked. Sometimes they stay like that for months.

I have enough feeling to touch type but this feeling is uncomfortable as all hell as well as potentially dangerous: It's extends down the side of my hand where I do knife hand strikes and I could potentially overdo it.

Anyone know what the heck is going on? Circulation etc is normal and I cannot find the affected nerve.

Thanks,

Josh <><

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey OG,

Why did I just take aspirin?

If you're thinking heart attack isn't it the whole arm which is affected?

Thanks,

Josh <><

·
Registered
202 Posts
How old are you? Did you do anything out-of-the-ordinary over the weekend? I'm no doctor, but it could be a pinched nerve.

If the numbness continues, see a real doctor soon. If there is damage, the longer you wait, the potential for more damage and a longer recovery period.

Avoid alcohol, even beer until you get a diagnosis.

The asprin is a good idea. I take a "baby" asprin everyday.

Let us know how it goes with you.

Regards,

Steve

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just shot a couple games of pool...

I didn't want this to be something which would affect my shooting career. The feeling's been coming back very sloooowly but the aspirin seems to have helped.

I don't see anything out of the ordinary here but I'm wondering if I may not have a clot in a capillary screwing with things.

Yeah, I think I'm gonna see a doc. I'll stick to soda and pool for the time being.

Thanks,

Josh <><

G

·
If this is bothering you enough to post about it here, you should see a doctor ASAP.

In general, numbness is neurological, not circulatory. The medical term for what you're describing is neuropathy. Depending on cause, it could be minor, serious, temporary, or permanent.

Like others I'm not a doctor, but I have, unfortunately, a lot of personal experience with serious nervous system disorders.

If it bugs you, see a doctor.

Max

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Heya Josh,

I don't remember the name for it, but if you sleep or drive long distances with your elbow bent more that 90 degrees it pinches a nerve and the pinky and ring finger get numb.

Just make an effort to sleep with the arm extended. Apparently happens a lot in the spring when people start driving with the window open and elbow hanging out.

Lots of doctors don't know about it.

But....don't disregard possible heart attack or stroke symptoms.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Pat

·
Registered
202 Posts
Joshua,
By now you've gathered that the medical opinion of this group is that you should get it checked out tomorrow.

If your gun was not working correctly, you'd get it checked out. Your health is worth much more.

Bonus points if your doctor has gun magazines in the waiting room, hunting scenes on the wall, is ex-military, and shows you his concealed weapon.

Take care and get some medical care.

Steve

·
Registered
720 Posts
Josh,
aspirin is a blood thinner besides a pain killer. If you have any kind of clogged artery causing your problem, aspirin helps. It's a just in case wonder drug.

Your doc needs to have you get a complete blood test for things like your closterall (spelling) and check your blood pressure. Better to get a clean bill of health than take a chance. All kinds of medicines available for everything.

My doc takes credit for my age with several pills he makes me take.

Cheers,
og

·
Registered
202 Posts
My doc takes credit for my age with several pills he makes me take.

My doc says my premature aging can be credited to the several ex-wives I have! <bg>

Steve

1 - 10 of 10 Posts