Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since getting my CCW almost a decade ago, I've carried a lot of semi autos. A partial list includes six or seven different full size 1911s, three or four Hi Powers, a couple of Berettas, a CZ75, a Glock 19, and even a Kel Tech P3AT.

My favorite of all, however, has got to be this one. I bought it new in 1997 at the area's largest sporting goods store. I had heard that Colt was going to discontinue producing .45s, and this was the only new Colt in town. And it was a slightly tricked out Commander, with nice grips, easy to index sights, and ambi safety, so it wasn't a totally run of the mill factory gun.

I didn't shoot it a lot, but I noticed that my accuracy was consistently good. Over time my fondness for the gun increased in direct proportion to the number of rounds I fired. It's reliable, and I shoot it well. It carries and conceals fairly well, and I think it's pretty attractive. At 7-10 yards it shoots to POA with Federal 230-grain Hydra Shoks.

The whole point of this post is to say that my shooting box is loaded, and I'm headed for the range in about an hour. Ya'll have a good day.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi Leland,

It is attractive and sounds like a great shooter! Like you, I do like to practice with my CCW handguns a lot.

Have a great day!

Chris

·
Registered
649 Posts
My favorite would have to be my P32 followed at a close second by my Glock 19.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Leland- I think I've got the twin to your Commander! I got it about the same time, too.

My all-time favorite to carry?
Boy, a toughie. I usually carry a 5" 1911. The HK P7's size and shape carries very nicely.
But I think the Browning HiPower is my favorite to carry. It's shape just fits me.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Until recently, I didn't carry a semi-auto. It was a S&W M49 for concealed carry.
But since renewing my interest in semiauto handguns and the purchase of the CZ 75B and the CZ97B, these have become my favorites to carry.

I have a High Noon hi-ride holster that will hold both CZs quite well by simply adjusting the screw on the holster.

I've shot at least 1000 rds thru the CZ75B and over 500 rds through the CZ97B, both FMJs and HPs of various brands. All have been without any failures.

I haven't tried IWB holsters yet, but will sometime if the need is there.

I still keep my S&W M49 handy as a BUG. Old habits die hard.

Regards,
Steve

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've given this some thought.
Heck, I have sooooooo many guns as it is!!
It's hard to come up with just one favorite!!
It sits dormant in my computer desk. It gets slipped into my pocket every time I go outside to smoke.
It goes with me when I go to the local stop and rob.

It is my Kel-Tec P32!!!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Much as I like my 1911, quality ammo has gotton pretty expensive to proctice with. its alos not as rock-solid reliable as my G19, so the Glock is my CCW arm right now.

The extra capacity is a plus too - you have to figure in around here an "encounter" won't just be a single mugger. Lots of bad boyz from Nawlins running around and you can figure on at least 2-3 confronting you.

One of the reaons I no longer carry my SP 101, another favorite of mine.

G

·
My BHP hands down (as you can see she gets used hard). This pic was taken after several spills doing a "o" course. She was covered in dirt but kept on working. I love the way it feels in my hands. The dang thing is accurate, and 100% reliable. I know it is the shooter, but I swear I always shoot better when I use this BHP. Plus it is very easy to carry IWB.

G

·
For holster carry I prefer a full sized 1911, or a LW Commander if I want a break from the weight of the 1911, I use the same holster for both. For IWB carry I favor the S&W 6906.

G

·
I would like to say one of my BHP or 1911A1 pistols but the truth is my Bersa Thunder 45 suits me to a T! It is compact, lightweight, reliable, accurate, and reasonable to buy. I carry it in either an Alessi or Null holster and it doesn't get any better. Regards, Richard

·
Regulator,
3,441 Posts
LelandRay and all,

Seems that our tastes our similar. Like you, I've carried a lot of pistols.
My do everything pistol is my Colt StainlessSeries 80 Combat Commander. Yes it's been customized a bit to just the things I find desirable. Shoots better than I can and is 100 % reliable. It DOES NOT have those god awful front slide cuts, however.

Wes

·
Registered
115 Posts
Mine is this Kimber Tactical Ultra.
Since this picture I've removed the right thumb safety and installed Crimson Trace laser grips. I hated to replace those nice looking grips but since I've been using lasers I wouldn't use a gun for defense without one (if available).

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Scot45-
Nice Yost BHP! I have one there now being made into a near-twin that I'm eagerly awaiting (five months and counting).
You DO use it a lot to get that amount of wear! If I recall correct, the SRT package has only been around (in package form anyway) about a year or so.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Hi all,

The favorite carry gun debate is rather academical for me as we are generally not allowed to carry in Switzerland. Carry permits are given to guys in security, justice and politic - the 2 last being self-proclaimed "threatened" categories that refuse the right to defend oneself to others.

As I will never give up that right, I often think about what would ideal, given that expansive ammo is also banned. The more I shoot it the more I love my LW Commander (TLee's clone): big bullets, right size and weight, usable sights with a white sticker glued on the front and some file work on the back, and a long trigger without holes. I must install a beavertail safety as the short factory one leaves snake's bite on my web during range sessions. That's all.

I was a DA/SA guy at the beginning - DA/SA or Glocks are much more common here - but my hand has made it now to the cocked and locked SA.

Bye

L.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Larry, we have politicians who carry legally but refuse the right to everyone else; luckily, most states haven't bought their jive. In fact, during the last ten or fifteen years, getting a carry permit has become much easier in most places, though there are still those elitist swine who believe that laws apply to everyone but the lawmakers.

If I had no other choice, and had to have non expanding bullets, the Commander would be just about perfect for me. Heck, I started this thread with a Commander, so I'm repeating myself.

G

·
Mine is this Kimber Tactical Ultra.
Since this picture I've removed the right thumb safety and installed Crimson Trace laser grips. I hated to replace those nice looking grips but since I've been using lasers I wouldn't use a gun for defense without one (if available).

Is that hammer on half cock?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts