Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I considered myself pretty knowledgeable about most
manufacturers by recently found out that the Berettas
have alloy frames. Any information would be appreciated.
Info on alloy frames: the Beretta 92 (military version M9) was mass tested using hot NATO ammo and averaged over 30,000 rounds before requiring repair not available in the field.

My wife shoots in the NAVY and many range M9 pistols have well over 100,000 rounds.

Anyway, as for your "compact" 9mm:

Have you handled a Browning HI-power? They are narrow and have a grip length about 3/4" shorter than a typical full sized 9mm. Easy to conceal, indestructable design.

For the record, before you buy a gun: ask yourself if you want to go the cheap route on the gun that will be saving your life.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Hello. I like the little Star Model BM to be sure, but it is true that w/o much more effort, the BHP or even a 5" 1911 or Commander can be carried concealed fairly easily under a loose-fitting shirt.

This HBE IWB holster worked great at concealing the Hi Power under just a square-cut loose shirt or very light jacket.

Best.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Eagle's Law clearly states that "what's cheap, is expensive". Someone made the comment that you should not consider cost when you are betting your life on a carry gun.
I have just one small problem with that because I don't consider the 9mm a good caliber for carry. I think any gun is better than no gun, but I was answering your question about what you wanted, not what I would advise.

I like big guns with big bullets! I spare no expense in tuning them up for CCW. I play to WIN! My life is too valuble to give it to a dirt bag with a stolen gun!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Another possibility is the STI LS9. While I have not handled one, famed instructor John Farnam likes his. I like the slimness, and 1911-style features.

Also, I agree with the posters - price should not be the primary (or even secondary) consideration in choosing a gun to defend yourself. If it just for plinking or games, that's fine.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
There are no flies on the HK P7M8, either, if you can come up with the dinero.
One fly. Jacketed ammo only. I have been a fan of those guns for years but didn't buy in the early years when the price was reasonable because I couldn't shoot my lead reloads. By the time I had gotten used to the idea of jacketed loads only, the price had gone through the roof. Nice gun but not worth the current price, IMHO.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
PS No one has answered the question, "Why steel"? Alloy frames are more than adequate for the 9mm.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've been very happy with my Kahr MK9. Carries well in the pocket in a Uncle Mike's. Get the 7 round mag or Pierce mag extensions---either gives you a better grip on the gun. A pussycat to shoot with +P. Nothing wrong with 9mm as a stopper with modern factory JHP.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts