Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,
I'm a new member and proud of the Second Amendment. I've been reading several of the handgun
articles of Mr. Hills and glad to say they are very informative. I wanted to pose a question to the forum
members about a possible purchase of a compact 9MM.

I'm not a fan of alloy framed pistols. I'm looking for a
very reliable all steel framed 9MM compact model. I
would be interested in any suggestions you may have.
I considered myself pretty knowledgeable about most
manufacturers by recently found out that the Berettas
have alloy frames. Any information would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Hello and welcome. Though they are not made any longer, the old STAR Model BM is a compact, thin, all-steel, single-action, locked breech 9mm that is well thought of in many circles. Should you opt for one, I'd suggest not dry-firing it (or the older models) w/o a snap cap in place as the firing pin is notched such that a vertical steel pin beneath the rear sight can hold it in place.

I've owned this one for several years. It groups reasonably well, has a good trigger pull out of the box and has proven reliable with most JHP's. (This one is reliably unreliable with Golden Sabers.) I bobbed the hammer spur slightly to eliminate hammer bite.

Best.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SAC beat to the draw! The current crop of Star BMs is selling for $129.95 (wholesale) and they are a best buy. I have owned mine since 1991 and I recommend them. This is mine with hard chrome and Hakan grips. Regards, Richard

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Steve always beats me to the punch, but we have like minds in a lot of areas.
My vote is also for the Star BM. It is an excellent buy, extra magazines are about $12.95 last time I checked, and mine came out the door at about $140.00 with two mags. Star was way ahead of Colt for as long as I can remember. As a matter of fact, Colt copied the Star trigger group in their .380's. The slide stop has it's own plunger built in and so does the hammer. You can lock the hammer down when it has a round in the chamber and it is a very safe gun to handle.
I do not know of any other compact 1911 Commander size gun that would be better regardless of price!

·
Registered
363 Posts
You might look at the Kahr Arms offerings in 9mm. The K9 is an all steel compact 9mm and the MK9 is even smaller. If you want a four inch barrel, there is the T9. These are well made pistols, but their prices are kinda high.

Roadster

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all for the great information. Now I can go to the next Gun Show in my area armed
with some good knowledge. I've got a feeling I'm really going to enjoy this forum.

Thanks Again
dukeshoot

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why all steel? Alloy frames are up to the abuse of 9mm loads. I have an old Light Weight Commander with an alloy frame that has digested about 7500 rounds of full power loads with no ill effects. I mention this because my favorite carry gun is a S&W 6906 which has an alloy frame. The gun has had some problems in 35,000 rounds of use (broken extractor and trigger bar) but none were related to the alloy frame. The only reason I would resort to a steel framed carry gun was in a situation where I needeed the extra weight to dampen recoil.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Hello,

How about the Star M43 Firestar? They had some kind of cult following a few years ago... I don't have personnal experience, read very positive reports... but the range guy said once that these Stars were "axes"...

So what?

Bye.

L.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I recommend the CZ-75 Compact. It's all steel, holds 14+1 of 9mm. You can carry it cocked and locked or with the hammer down with a round in the chamber with double-action capability for the first shot. CZs are very well-made dependable pistols and can be had for a bargain price.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I cannot find a Star web site. Is there one?
Does Star make any similar pistols? This would make a great little car pistol.
Thanks

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi there,

Star has been out of business for quite a while. All of the Stars you see now are surplus or older imported handguns.

Parts can still be purchased, but are in limited supply through Numrich Arms.

Chris

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
J&G Sales here in Prescott AZ is a good place to find one. That is where I got mine. Southern Ohio Guns (SOG) also has nice deals on them. I do not place much value on 9mm as a round so the one I have was a cheap one. I paid $270.00 for the one I got for my daughter. It was nickle plated with Mother of Plastic Factory Pearl grips and was tuned up with the nicest trigger pull I have ever felt. It is on her nightstand as we speak.
Don't mess with Sis!

·
Registered
67 Posts
The Star BM is a great little gun-however-some folks(my self included )have have had feeding problems with it and hollowpoint bullets.Some folks on one of the other sites reccomend going to a higher strength recoil spring(Wolff Springs) and feel that this solves the problem.One of these days I AM going to get a stronger spring!!! It really is a neat little gun,and I do reccomend them.Will Durant

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Spring replacement won't help much. I do install new factory springs from Walt Wolff in mine, but not for that reason. I take care of the barrel throat and feed ramp so mine feed anything. I carry it with ball ammo once in a while when I am feeling very brave. I am not a fan of hollow points in any flavor.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My wife often carries a Firestar M43 9mm as an off duty piece. Although I initially was somewhat skeptical, I must say that the weapon has pleasantly surpised me.

It is a 7+1 steel frame 9mm with an inverted rail system like a CZ or P-210, it is totally reliable, acceptably accurate and has virtually no recoil due to its weight. I also actually prefer the safety on it to a conventional SA auto as the safety lever actually lifts the hammer off of the sear (like a Ballister Molina) as opposed to locking the sear like a 1911/BHP.

Anyway, if you are looking for a steel frame 9mm on the small side, that is a very cheap, good pistol.

If you are looking for a DAO, the KAHR T9 has alot to reccomend it also.

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Hello,

You'd be surprized at how slim & compact The FN-Browning High Power is when it comes to concealed carry, plus it's only five inches tall with a mag in place, so concealing the grip (which prints the most) is a non issue.

Take Care,

1 - 20 of 28 Posts