Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I was recently asked at another board about what firearms I own. The gent who asked was under the impression I only had the Taurus and a .22.

Soooo.... I took some pics

The top rifle is the Romanian .22. It's very accurate in my hands and has taken its share of squirrel. With flip up leaves I don't have to guess when it comes to holdover... only distance
Below is my defensive shotgun, a Mossberg 500 with folding wire stock, heat shield, 8 round capacity, and synthetic forearm and pistol grip. Below the Mossy on the left is my much talked about Taurus 92. The two extra mags are at the very bottom. Middle and upside down is a Carpati M95, a Walther PPK copy. I've found it to function 100% with only one malfunction when new. The rusted revolver on the right is my project revolver. I've got the innards moving freely now; all I have to do is clean off the rust, clean it up well, make a part, throw it back together, and it will be ready to shoot.

This is my daily carry package. All or any of the above accompany me and I am seldom without the cellphone. Even when that one's charging the prepaid goes with me. There are VERY few places the knife doesn't go, as well as the flashlight and Leatherman. The Carpati is usually tucked away in my pocket. If I feel I want a belt gun (and I usually do) the Taurus is strapped on as well.

Though this small collection is not what I used to have, it's growing again and will likely have more handguns than long guns this time around. I only want a centerfire rifle and a double 20 to round out the long guns, and I'm currently looking at Hi Powers and 1911s.

Josh <><

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Hi Josh.

A nice battery of firearms you've got there. Way back in the late '80s after I got my DCM Garand rifle I started collecting milsurp rifles. First I had to get an M-1 Carbine, then I thought I should get a representative sample of enemy weapons...Arisakas, Mosin Nagants, etc. I never had very many handguns.

Grad school expenses and so on pared all that down quite a bit. Now things are getting built back up again. If I get my digital camera fixed I'll post some photos of the main battery of my own:
U.S. Rifle, caliber .30 M-1
Chicom Type 56 SKS
Remington 870 12-ga.

S&W M638-2 .38 revolver
Ruger SP101
Beretta Neos .22 pistol

best, --d.

by the way, how's recoil with that wire stock on the Mossberg? I've got a short length-of-pull fixed pistol-grip on the 870, which helps me hold it into the shoulder while I reload with the free hand.

G

·
Dave sounds like we got some stuff in comon.

Two years ago I had around 25 or so some rifles and few old revolvers and semis of old military/police nature from around the world.(No im not rich you dont really have to be with a License that allows you to get old battle rifles that cost from $50-$300 average) and I also had sold off a ncie AR15 and Benelli Shotgun to use the money for such.
These days after buying first home and some horrendus med bills,Im down to 8 rifles and 1 handgun.
Funny upon looking back how the face of my collection has changed over last 10 years.
From a half dozen 1911s and 3 Hi Powers,3 Rugers BlackHawks,2 Glocks 2 Sigs, a rifle and shotgun here and there to be whittled down to 8 50 or more years old rifles and Bulgarian Makarov. But Im having fun and lovem all just the same maybe more given eachs history.
Im going out tommorow to shoot my HRA M1 Garand for first time since buying it 3 nealry 3 months ago. Thats an eternity for me to have a firearm that long and not take the time to go "play"!

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
by the way, how's recoil with that wire stock on the Mossberg? I've got a short length-of-pull fixed pistol-grip on the 870, which helps me hold it into the shoulder while I reload with the free hand.
Well sir, take it for what it's worth as I stand 6'2", weigh in around 210lbs, and grew up shooting nothing less than a 20 gauge in a shotgun-only-for-deer state.

For me, bearing in mind that recoil is subjective, it is just short of being a bit brutal. Recovery time is good though; whether that comes from experience or some intrinsic trait to this setup I do not know. The 2.75" shells feel like I'm shooting a 3" slug from a wooden stocked sporting model.

The only thing that's kept me, thus far, from replacing the buttstock with a standard black synthetic is expense. I don't have much in the way of money right now what with going back to college and all.

It's between a new buttstock and a reflex sight; I'd rather have the sight for more precise slug placement. I'd also like to plug the mag and take it deer hunting, just once
for reasons beyond the scope of this board.

Thanks,

Josh <><

G

·
"Will Josh return his antique revolver to her former glory, or will she languish in the drawer? Find out on the next All My Guns!"

Some day I'll be able to have my own AMC....er...AMG photo. I have to say I rather like your carry gear. Especially the slim little phone. Mine is a brick. It might make a good impact weapon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts