Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a two week absence, I paid an afternoon visit to my favorite gundealer.

He had two S&W revolvers on consignment sale.

A used but excellent condition Model 65 .357 Magnum with the four inch heavy barrel and square butt at $250.

And a still NIB Model 36 no dash nickel plated two inch round butt made in 1981. Pinned barrel and all the paperwork included. This gun was absolutely cherry in every way.

Now I need another J frame .38 Spl like I need three eyes. I have a bunch of them. But the thought of some barbarian getting his paws on this 36 and mistreating it was more than I could stand. Price was $350 plus tax. No bargain, but how many NIB 1981 pinned barrel nickel 36's do you run across these days?

So I hauled out the plastic, my DL and CHL and walked out with it. Rescuing this little gem is my good deed for the day. And it makes a nice little Xmas gift for myself....

Roadster

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
One can never have too many .38's

Congrats on saving another one from the evil Visigoths.

Regards,

Pat

G

·
Price was $350 plus tax. No bargain, but how many NIB 1981 pinned barrel nickel 36's do you run across these days?
In my area (which admittedly runs as high as anywhere for used guns) this item would be a steal.

Enjoy

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hello roadster,

Congradulations!

I have quite an appetitie for early model J frame S&W revolver's myself and don't see them for sale much around here. It is a very easy hobby to begin collecting them.

I tell my wife they don't take up as much space as the "bigger" handguns.....

Again, congradulations!

Chris

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
baldy,

I didn't buy the Model 65, only the nickel 36. Buying two handguns on the same 4473 or two handguns in one week will get you reported to the BATFE in my neck of the woods.

Roadster

G

·
Buying two handguns on the same 4473 or two handguns in one week will get you reported to the BATFE in my neck of the woods.
That's a regulatory requirement for a dealer anywhere in the country, but I've bought jillions of handguns on the same 4473, or 2 or 3 handguns from different dealers the same day over many, many years and I've never had the BATFE knock on my door (at least when I was home).

I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
For what it might be worth, I was both a cop and FFL holder when that reg came into being. It was primarily designed as a safety valve when we began seeing an increase in the number of foreign students coming to the US to attend colleges. There was a concern that they might being to rapidly buy up weapons for the purpose of transporting them out of the country, through the use of strawmen purchases. As I recall they were primarily concerned with large purchases made at the same time, more than 2 or 3 weapons I mean. But yep the reg is on the books.

About the same time it came into play, I remember getting a request from my local ATF office to visit any businesses in town selling ammo, and ask to look at their ammo book. The request was to look for large purchases of ammo by individuals with foreign sounding names...same concern.

Just going from memory here, but I have never known of an ATF agent paying someone a visit because they purchased multiple weapons on the same day. If that was likely to happen, they would have met me several times already.

Just thought a little background for the reg might put some a bit more at ease.

twoguns

G

·
Clearly, this policy of the reporting of 2 or more handguns purchased on the same Form 4473 is to try to determine patterns that would identify the accumulation or stockpiling of arms for terrorist or paramilitary purposes. It seems to me it goes back to the era of domestic terrorism that we had in the late 1960's and into the 1970's that was an outgrowth of the anti-war movement of the time. (Europe --- especially Germany and Italy --- had far greater domestic terrorism during the same period than did the U.S.)

As I said I've done multiple handgun purchases many times with no problem, but I heard about a gunsmithing student up at Lassen Community College in Susanville, CA that picked up 2 or 3 M1911's and/or clones on the same 4473 for a class project, that had the BATFE knocking on his door. I think the multiple purchase of the same type of handgun --- and possibly also the type of handgun --- is what red-flagged his purchase.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts