Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found the experience of that peace officer interesting as the guy seems, indeed, very familiar with guns. Without counting the army, I shoot for more than 15 years privately. I never experienced an AD, neither ever found a round in an "empty" gun. Recently I began to "triple" check my guns as I have childrens at home: when the shooting is over at the range, when I bag out at home, when I put the guns in the safe. The more I'm familiar and confident with guns, the more routine frightens me. These stories happen... and not only to others.

By the way, the site is a real mine of informations and ressources. When logged in, you have access to a simulated comparision microscope to examine fired bullets and cases, for example.

Bye.

L.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi there,

"Complacency is the mother of all accidents..."

I've said that to myself hundreds of times while handling firearms and yet firearms safety is the operators responsibility. Checking the action of a "unloaded" firearm before handling it should be second nature to all "experienced" shooters.

I'm still wondering how he got his hand in front of the muzzle of the Glock while field stripping it and pulling the trigger to decock it. I'll have to think on that one for awhile....

Chris

G

·
Great site! My forensics prof. used that one a lot in our ballistics lesson; especially the comparrison microscope. I think I've actually read that story on the poor guy's blog before. An accidental discharge would be the scarriest damn sound in the world....

·
Registered
430 Posts
I'm such a fanatic that when I pull a gun from the safe I check it. Then say I decide to practice dry firing or drawing from concealment? Well, the gun was out of the safe, but lets check it anyways! So, I check before drawing/dry firing. Then perhaps I reholster the gun and cook dinner or something. Sit back down again and decide to do some more dryfiring. I probably did NOT reload the gun in that time, but I will check it anyways. Then I check before putting it back in the safe.

Yes, I'm fanatical about safety and I try to not be complacent never have I found it a hassle or nusance to check a firearm. And I always try to presume my weapon is loaded, if it's my hand after I have just checked it to make sure it is unloaded, it is still loaded in my mind.

-Rob

G

·
There's no such thing as a safety fanatic, just a very safe person. I've had a ND before, it was a result of a mechanical flaw combined with mishandling. Luckily all I shot was a wall, but the hearing in my right ear is worse than it was thanks to that. You can never be too careful, only careful enough. Rob and Larry, it sounds like you guys are careful enough.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts