Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I find myself shooting this thing fairly frequently and like it just as it came from the box. So far, there have been zero malfunctions and the fixed sights were well regulated for my eye w/o "Kentucky Windage" being necessary.

Nothing fancy, this Ruger GP-100 w/3" bbl handles quite well for me. I find the factory grips satisfactory and the DA pull quite useable. SA pull does not match that of any S&W I've tried, but neither does it cause problems. Ruger's competition to the S&W L-frame does seem tough as a boot and I find this gun easy to handle with full-power magnum loads. (Yes, most of the factory ones have been cut back a bit in the last several years.)

I've always been primarily an S&W revolver fan when it comes to "round guns", but find this gun seeing more and more use. It's sitting on the desk as this is written, loaded with Winchester 145-gr. STHP. These average 1197 ft/sec from this 3" Ruger. I'm not really a stainless steel fan, but have come to sort of begrudgingly like it in pocket guns and some revolvers. This is one.

My practice .357 load consists of a hard cast 158-gr. SWC loaded to 1154 ft/sec. It hits the same POI for POA as does the 145-gr. Winchester. I've got several hundred downrange and the gun remains as tight as when it was purchased.

These guns can be found at decent prices and frankly, I prefer them to new S&W revolvers with the key lock. I do not like Ruger's policy of not selling certain parts, but requiring the owner to send the gun to them if repair should ever be necessary. Be aware that if you do opt for a Ruger firearm and send it to them, they will "return it to factory specs" in addition to the repair service. In other words, your trigger job will be gone if one's been done. Fortunately, these things seem to hold up pretty well from what I've seen and heard from GP owners in the past and from what I'm seeing with this gun.

If you are considering a medium size .357, the GP 100 in one of its versions might very well be worth a long look.

Best.

·
Registered
53 Posts
SAc,
I nealry purchased a 4" GP100 for my CCW.
I thought it and some nice 38 +P would bea great steady dependable accurate rig!
I trully love wheel guns as much as Semis and truthfully the old SAs even more!!

But as you know as aCHL instructor here, if one test with the Revolver he is limited to that only.
I may still looka t such for winter season carry after I renew my CHL in the next couple weeks using my Star 9mm!
For those unfamliar in Texas if your proven proficient with Semi-auto you are considered able to hande the Revovler but not reverse!
Go figure.

G

·
Any blue S&W is my favorite
. But I have taken a real fancy to a 3" m13. If I was told that I had to carry a revolver tomorrow, that would be the one I'd strap on.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello. I recently acquired a like new 3" Model 64. I REALLY enjoy shooting that little thing and it makes a nice belt carry package in a good holster.

Best.

G

·
Hail to the King! (the .38 Spl. S&W K-frame)

It doesn't get any better than Witherspoon's Model 13 or Mr. Camp's Model 64 (among others). I've trusted my life to similar guns for many years, and continue to carry a Model 65 3-inch on a regular basis.

Nevertheless, as Stephen mentions, I would prefer a new Ruger GP-100 to a comparable S&W L-frame if for no other reason than the questionable locking mechanism. I have yet to read about any lock malfunctions, but Murphy's Law hovers over guns so equipped like a cloud of doom. IMO, better safe than sorry.

Of the GP's, the limited production 5" model appeals to me most. Gotta get one at some point.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I don't like the trigers and the action of rugers. SW are quite better for me. Yes rugers are stronger construction, but i prefer SW

G

·
I bought a new 3" GP-100 several years ago as a carry gun (trying to get back close to the Security-six I never should have sold). Went on to use it in IDPA competition over the last few years. Scored IDPA expert with it and liked it so much that when all the used Canadian ones started showing up I bought one of those to use as a back-up. I bobbed the hammer on the used one to keep it from cutting up the lining of my jackets and vests and carry it a lot these days. They are my two favorite guns.

·
Registered
38 Posts
New member here. I have two of the old style Rugers, a blued Speed Six, and a stainless Police Service Six with out the warning. Both are 357's have the 2 3/4 inch barrel and the high back strap. These are very nice guns. The trigger is not same as the Smiths, but is still very good. The cylinder movement and lock up are faster than the Smith so the action just seems different. Both the guns are great shooters. Very accurrate in both 38 and 357. These old Ruger are a good buy on the used market. I also have a 6 inch Security Six in stainless all are in great shape and I did not pay more than $225 for any of them. I do own more Smiths than Rugers. The three of the me give me a good representation of the line.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts