Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I'm pretty well a Smith & Wesson user when it comes to round guns, but admit that I've been most favorably impressed with a 3" Ruger GP100.

That said, I've always sort of just plain liked the old Colt snubs, particularly the Agent. It's an aluminum-frame version of the Detective Special, but with a slightly shorter butt. I just like the looks of the older ones w/o the ejector rod shrouds.

This '60's vintage Colt Agent was like new when I found it at a gunshow. I asked the owner if it was new and he honestly replied that it had been shot. He said it had been owned by two separate owners over the years and each had fired 6 shots through it! I put considerably more than that through it, but really don't shoot it all that much. I just like having it and appreciate it sort of as an "art form."

How about you? Do any of you have any old revolvers that serve no real "need" or niche, but you just plain like having them?

Best.

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Mr. Camp,

I am currently looking for a vintage Colt Thunderer or Lightening (DA w/birdshead frame). They make replicas now, but they are SA only.

The DA was for emergencies. Built on a slightly smaller frame than the 1873, these were chambered in .38 and .41 calibers. Other than that, they were virtually identical to the 1873 Peacemaker.

Shootersville harbors an owner of a set of these but the owner will not sell. I'd need more money at this point for a vintage Colt anyway.

<><,

Josh

G

·
Like Mr. Camp, I have a definite love for the Colt D-frame. (RIP) My first concealed carry arm was a post-1972 vintage Detective Special with nickel finish. A bit gaudy for my liking but boy did that little pistol shoot. I also owned one of the later Agents, when they were not nearly as well finished as Stephen's gun. My present CCW of choice is the updated Magnum Carry, only manufactured for about one year (RIP again).

Presently I'm searching for a I-frame S&W in .32 caliber. That's the old small frame that preceeded the wildy popular J-frame. This little gun would serve no great or serious purpose. It may go with me on a fishing trip, if that. So when I get hold of this latest "just because" gun, I'll post some pics.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello. Not quite as old as the Agent shown previously, I found this '70's vintage Colt Police Positive several years ago at a very good price. It was reportedly new, but no box or papers. The action on this gun is considerably better than my Agent's.

Well, it's not really my gun...anymore. My mother has it at her home where it's on 24-hr. home defense duty. It's loaded with Federal standard velocity Nyclad 125-gr. hollow points.

Best.

G

·
My revolver from another time would be the H&R Sportsman 9 Shot break top my mom gave me about 6 years ago for my birthday.
It was almost new when I got it. It did look new, and worked just as good too.

Never shot it on paper, but someday I will.
Last year I found out it was made in 1930.

I don't shoot it much as I'm not a great fan of .22s. But I like it for the example of what it is.

Joe

G

·
this is one i purchaced from an old timer a few years ago. he bought it new in 1955, & told me he shot a deer
with it in 1958. it truely is a great little shooter.

ruffbird.

G

·
this is one i purchaced from an old timer a few years ago. he bought it new in 1955, & told me he shot a deer
with it in 1958. it truely is a great little shooter.

ruffbird.
Did JC Higgins sell this pistol for a while?

Thanks,
Lester

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello, Mr. Lester, and thank you. It is as good as can be out of the box as best I can tell...and I went over it at the range and with the proverbial "fine tooth comb" before giving it to her. She's not a "gun person" and flat wouldn't know what to do if it didn't work.

Best.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My revolver from another time is belgian "Municipal" in cal. 8mm Lebel. It's double acton only, 6 round revolver. It have safety lever in the left side of the frame (interesting). The safety locks trigger and hammer. I don't know manifacturing date. I thing the weaponis older than 1900...

·
Registered
117 Posts
I still have but seldom shoot any more, 2 first gen Dick Spl's, one with the Fitz mod's, but here of late one of my favorites to play with, is an old British Bulldog

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Well, I took the hook today and purchased a 1976 era? Colt .357 Peacekeeper with a 4" barrel at my local gunshop for the princely sum of $300.00.
With the exception of a little barrel holster wear at the tip of the muzzle, it looks pretty pristine with its matte (looks like parkerized) blue finish.
I was wondering if any of the members of this forum have any information on this particular wheelgun?
Please let me know...

Thanks,

Chris

G

·
carolinaman,

Your Colt was only manufactured between 1985-87. 4- and 6-inch barrels were offered. It was built on the Mark V action.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Bill,

Thanks for the information.
I am trying to recall where this revolver fits into the evolution of colt revolvers?
I've owned the Mark III Trooper, a stainless steel King Cobra and the renowned Python.
It appears to have the frame of the Mark III and the ventilated rib of the Python. The lack of prefinish high polishing, aka the cylinder flutes are rough seems to suggest that this was a budget .357. It has the original Pachmeyer Gripper Grips on it and it is outfitted with the white outline rear and red ramp sight combination.
The blue book of gun values states that it was made in 1976?

Thanks,

Chris

G

·
Sounds like yet another example of The Blue Book's hit-or-miss editing over the past decade or so. I haven't bought a copy in years because of these regular errors. I much prefer Krause's Standard Catalog of Firearms and have used that as my ready reference for some time. I think the listed values in the Krause annual are more in line with my region as well.

If The Blue Book says the gun was manufactured in 1976, it is patently wrong. Here is Hal Swiggett's introduction of the Peacekeeper on page 127 of the 40th edition of Gun Digest, which was the 1986 annual released in '85:

In keeping with the trend towards "popular pricing" Colt offers the Peacekeeper 357 Magnum. If, in your opinion, it looks like a MK V Trooper you aren't being mislead. Red insert front sight, white outlined rear, vent rib and all. The only difference is a non-reflective matte blue finish and a "gripper" round bottom rubber grip.

On page 289 of that same edition, it reads in part:

Introduced 1985...$282.95

I'll try to find my box of old catalogs to see if there is an '85 Colt and post the new gun's introduction.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Bill,

Thank you for the information and I will defer to your knowlegable evaluation and excellent references.
The error could actually be mine as I was somewhat hasty to get the necessary paperwork done on the pistol and home.
My wife is constantly wondering how all of these handguns keep multiplying and evolving into new ones...

Again, many thanks for the information.

Chris

G

·
Guess my revolver from another time would have to be a Ruger Blackhawk .357 Magnum. About 1972. Followed closely by a 4" S&W M19...with it I was deadly accurate. Same for my newer M19 2 1/2" snubbie.

Wes

1 - 20 of 31 Posts