Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there all,

Today, I took the day off from work and had some "business" to attend to down at the Indoor Shooting Range.

Instead of my "usual" armament for the trip, I decided to travel light today and didn't really plan on doing any shooting, but I tucked my S&W 642-2 and a "baggie" of about 100 handloads that I had put together about 2 months ago of 4.6 grains of Unique under a 158 grain LSWCHP.

I conducted my business down close to the range at a nearby business and then stopped in for a little chat. I grabbed my "baggie" and some eye and ear and went in for a impromptu shooting session!

After purchasing some B-27 targets and went in and put about 100 rounds down range with the small S&W J-frame. The handloads all shot to point of aim with a serious recoil and really made me look like I knew what I was doing.

The action has started to smooth out a little on the relatively new revolver and I am finding the trigger pull is a lot smoother with use.

I was a happy man this morning and had some impressive targets to show for my little morning outing. I had some fun with my J-frame snub and now need to take my older M-60 down for a workout.

Chris

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy Mr. Chris,

I am glad you enjoyed your range time with your 642. I do enjoy your pictures, and wished I was puter literate enough to post them. But then I reckon it would require a better camera than my cell phone provides, lol. Maybe I need to think about getting a decent digital camera.

I did notice something about your speed strip and want to offer a suggestion to you and any other folks who carry their speed strips like that for their 5 shots.

Mr. Chris, I have really grown fond of our exchanges, so I mean this only in the most positive of ways to you and others. PLEASE -- ADD THE SIXTH ROUND TO YOUR STRIPS.

When I used a model 60 as my boot gun/backup, I carried at least 3 speed strips, which I personally think are a great device. I was not quite as fast reloading with them as with a good HKS speed loader, but they always went out with me. With a bit of practice, they can be damn quick too. In the pressure of a shooting situation you do not risk dropping a loose round either. I rarely carried speed loaders, as they just did not tote well. I made myself stop using loaders for quals, and just used what I carried - the speed strips.

Seriously why not have the extra round in that empty slot. It would give you +1 with only one strip, but I hope you carry at least 2 strips if not more. If not, I wish you would give that some serious thought. To me, more ammo is always a good thing, especially when using a device like a speed strip that carries so nicely.

This is not something I would recommend as a "good tactic" but it worked for me once. I had 3 strips, so 3 extra rounds. Both the badguy and I were behind cover, and I was literally down to those last 3 rounds. I intentionally let him hear 2 clicks, and he left cover and began to charge me. Short version is I am still typing.

(Why didn't I have more than just a 5 shot? Again short answer, I was taking out my trash and really did not think I would even need my model 60. But I had just caused a convicted murderer to be executed under a mandatory death penalty sentence. His brother apparently took serious personal offense to that, and I guess he wanted his "eye for an eye".)

But the point is why not carry one extra round per strip when you slip them into your pocket. You will only need a short bit of practice until loading with a full strip will be as easy as only 5 is for you now. It does give you the advantage of x number of additional rounds times the number of strips you carry, which I really hope is more than one speed strip.

Just another suggestion, load yourself some dummy rounds to practice with your strip. Practice loading 2 rounds at a time, so that it only takes 3 motions rather than 5 to reload. If folks will practice a bit, they will be amazed how quickly they can get back into the game.

If you had not posted your picture I would never have seen the empty space, and would not have been able to offer this suggestion to you and others. So I am really glad you did. I know you have previously posted that pic, but maybe the time of day means my meds are not as strong now, not sure. But I finally noticed you only had 5 rounds in your strip and wanted to offer some firsthand thoughts.

Just a couple of suggestions to you and others for what they are worth.

twoguns

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Say, Chris, that seems like a pretty seriously stout load you were shooting! Particularly for an airweight - how'd you and the gun hold up in the aftermath?

While I'm a six-rounds-in-a-speed-strip guy, a lot of folks online explain to me that they get a better grip on the strip with only five. Each to his own, I guess. Twoguns, your story makes me think you need a mini-Glock with a 33-round backup mag, not a J-frame! :)

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Erich,

Lol, thanks but no thanks sir. I will pass on that Glock or any Glock. Just not my cup of tea, but that is a long, involved story. For those that like Glocks, enjoy them.

I have said before I think the God Lords looks after fools and idiots, and that I qualified on both counts. That is just one more example. My j-frame, as fond as I was of it, was eventually replaced by a Kahr K40.

Interesting note about the better grip with only 5 rounds in the strip. I just saw it would hold 6 so I filled it. I have never tried the only 5, but with practice I found I was nearly as fast loading two at a stroke as I was with a speedloader.

I like Chris and any other forum members, and if a comment could help them, I will offer one. Naturally if someone does not agree, they should do what works best for them.

But yes Mr. Erich, I did learn from that one too, lol. I always have lots of extra magazines on me, even off duty (grinning).

twoguns

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I load 6 in mine, mainly because FumbleFingers (me) has been known to drop one round in practice. That and I also have some 6-shot snubs.

If they made a strip that held 7, I'd be set :)

Sounds like a good day Chris!

Regards,

Pat

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi there all,

Thank you all for your kind comments, advice and observations!

Normally, I carry a HKS speedloader and not the pictured Bianchi Speed Strip as my back-up reload, but I take counsel to the great advice offered on this forum from all who have been involved and will load the empty spot in the speed loader.

I carry this J-frame quite a bit during the course of the week and really like the way it tucks neatly into my pocket. For me, this is a true "working gun" that may be called upon in a crisis and based on the performance yesterday at the range-I am confident in the gun's accuracy and my ability to put all of the rounds where they need to go!

I am a fan of J-frame "snubbies" and really like the M-642! Now I wish I could find a decent priced M-36 to add to my collection!

Best,

Chris

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
You will!

Twoguns - I gave up on Glock last year, myself. They always work, but I just don't like the way that they feel. :) To each his own!

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello Erich,

I looked at an early edition Model 36 blued "Ladysmith" this morning. Your prophetic vision saved me in the nick of time and a spent my "coins" on the Remington 1100.

Were it not for the Ladysmith gold engraving, I would have had to found a way to make the Model 36 mine.

Chris

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello Again,

Well folks, I went to the range this morning with my friend Erich who is my shooting buddy and comrade in arms with all things involving shooting here where I live. Erich brought a Ruger P-89 to practice his CWP practical test with and I my SIG and my "special friend".

I decided today at the last minute to include my S&W 642-2 and about 50 rounds of my reloads that I have enjoyed making over the past months.

After finishing my "serious" shooting, I brought the 642-2 out for a little more "snub fun". Before I left the house this morning, I picked up some "orphaned" playing cards that were left in my kid's room to use for targets.

After shooting a couple of Midway Pistol Targets, I put the cards on the target hanger and started shooting at varying distances to see how well I could do. (My friend, not to be disuaded thought this was a capital idea and joined me).

The results of my shooting are pictured above. I lost several cards that were hit and fell from the hanger. Retrival was impossible as the range was "hot".

I really had fun with my snub this morning.

Chris

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy Mr. Chris,

Well it has been a day of puter and net problems, but at least the net issues appear to be behind me now. So maybe this response will post.

I am really glad to read you had such a great range day, and I can not think of any better way to end things than shaking hands with your "special friend". As has been noted before, the J-frames are excellent revolvers, but to be proficient with them does not allow them to be ignored too much. Looking at your pic of the playing card shot, it certainly does not appear you two have been ignoring each other too much at all. Nice shooting sir.

I do enjoy shooting with my bud Mr. John. Often while out in the desert, he will decide we are going to have some type of competition. While I have been blessed with getting far more trigger time in over the years than he has been able to do, he just shakes his head and cusses a bit while looking at our resulting targets. Then he laughs and says I am great motivation for him shooting more often - which would not bother me in the least.

Thanks for sharing your thoughs with this one too sir. It does indeed appear that you were "on" yesterday with everything. Days like that always make me grin afterwards too.

twoguns

·
Registered
399 Posts
Some real good shooting there Chris. Sounds and looks like you had a real good day. I always enjoy myself more when I got some to shoot with and there is no doubt in my mind Mr.Erich would be a lot of fun to be with. Good luck to you both.

Best, Baldy.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello all,

I went to the range today and had a real good day with my S&W 642-2 and my favorite batch of reloads. A standard recipe of a 158 grain Lead Semi Wadcutter HP over 4.6 grains of Unique.

All of my shots were point of aim at 10 yards and I did equally as well in both rapid and slow fire. My confidence level increases every time I shoot the snubby. I can see now why some folks regard them as the "experts" handgun.

Chris

1 - 13 of 13 Posts