Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Again, most interesting. Anxious viewers want to know more! Slotted for stock? Looks like later version (type 3?) tangent sight, & large style early serial #. Round barrel lug probably? Maybe part of a commercial run, or even 'special gift' intended for top brass out of the first 1000+ turned out in '33-'34?
You're keeping me away from my chores ;) Regards, G>M>F>

·
Registered
502 Posts
CPW: Great example & very unusual. Doesn't appear to have been dragged through war time usage, either
Now, be honest--have you got # 1 stuck away someplace? I'll never tell on you. Chores still not done, & I'm hearing about it :-[
Regards, G>M>F>

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Charles, you never cease to amaze us!

Thanks for all the photos & knowledge that you share with this site.

·
Registered
4 Posts
For your review
OK Guys, Now I am thoroughly confused, I bought a Browning HI Power with tangent sights on the rear and and a shark like fin on the front. I have not received the gun yet, I hope it is on the way. The pictures of the gun don't tell much and show very little. However, I am of the opinion the it is a Capitan. I do not know if it has the slot in the rear of the grip. However, I do have the serial number of T 3542XX. I checked all the sites and could not find any reference to that serial number going to DOB. I contacted Browning and a very nice lady spent at least thirty minutes trying to help, but gave up and said at one time a bunch them were imported and she had no records on them. She speculated that this was some time in the middle 70s. Now my question is "WHAT IS IT AND WHEN WAS IT MADE. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
Good morning,

It would not be a bad idea to begin a new thread... with a different appropriate tittle. [ Seeking Info: High Serial Number T-Series ]

By serial number yours is a T-series, because of the prefix T, which exceeds the dates Browning Arms has on file. This is not horribly uncommon. Early to mid-seventies is about right. Accurate records were not kept and I'm guessing no one really cared about production dates back then.

Please show us good sharp pictures of your new pistol when it arrives. Perhaps more info can be gleaned from them! Include any marks and stamps you notice. Earlier post-war pistols had cryptic date codes. I believe those were discontinued before the '70s, but there may be some on the inside surfaces of some parts.

Cheers,

Tim

·
Registered
4 Posts
Many thanks Tim
I'll be more than glad to post photos wen it comes in. I think the front sight is a replacement as I have never seen another like it. , I don't know if it is still up but try to check out GB item 922481434
Stay well, Paul

·
Registered
27 Posts
OK Guys, Now I am thoroughly confused, I bought a Browning HI Power with tangent sights on the rear and and a shark like fin on the front. I
Hi Paul,

It was still up just now.

In the description it says target sights. The rear sight is not a BHP tangent sight. It, and the front, seem to be special aftermarket sights of some kind. The rear looks to be adjustable. I'm guessing it was a standard T-Series (great pistol!) with modified sights.

Some years ago some BHP shooters were fitting their pistols with S&W revolver sights. I am not knowledgeable on those, but here is a link to a thread about them with some pictures.

Looking forward to seeing your pictures!

Cheers,

Tim

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Paul,

It was still up just now.

In the description it says target sights. The rear sight is not a BHP tangent sight. It, and the front, seem to be special aftermarket sights of some kind. The rear looks to be adjustable. I'm guessing it was a standard T-Series (great pistol!) with modified sights.

Some years ago some BHP shooters were fitting their pistols with S&W revolver sights. I am not knowledgeable on those, but here is a link to a thread about them with some pictures.

Looking forward to seeing your pictures!

Cheers,

Tim
Thanks Tim
Really appreciate the follow up, I'll post pictures as soon as available.
Hope to send them soon, but inclement weather has slowed shipping
Stay well
Paul

1 - 16 of 16 Posts