Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You might wander down to your local shop for a box or two of .38 Special and maybe some cleaning supplies and come home with something else...like this...

A DAO 64-5, bore and lockup excellent, a few scratches on the gun, a wittled down right grip (will soon be fixed with a new set of stocks). Otherwise a great pre-lock S&W K-Frame in .38 Special, with a heavy barrel all for the price of....are you ready for it? $169. Yep, I was almost ashamed of myself for it.

-Rob

·
Registered
645 Posts
RandomMan,

Nice find, and the price is right, with a decent set of stocks you got a good solid shooter. Because of going to my local shop for one reason or the other besides buying a gun, I wound up buying 5 handguns this past year in that fashion. It's an addiction, I'm looking for GA [Guns Anonymous] before there is a interdiction by the wife. ::)

Papabear

·
Registered
392 Posts
is Rob your name or what you did?!

thats a great find!

ive found 2 guns in my entire life that way....just not a very good selection here or at least at those prices anyway....

·
Registered
399 Posts
That sure is a nice one you got there. I find one once in awhile but I got to pay through the nose for it if I want it bad enough.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hello,

The majority of moments of inspiration for me are sojourns infrequently into gunshops with the intent of not buying anything.

At least, that is how I wound up with a pre-lock M-60, M-65 and M-629.

Should I see a 686 on my next visit, my "gun budget" will be blown out until 2010!

Very nice aquisition Rob, please let us know how it shoots.

Chris

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will let you know how it shoots Chris, fantastic! ;) I got to take this one to the range today. At 7 yards I was keeping 130-grain FMJ in 1.5" groups. Then I decided to run a cylinder of 158-grain LSWCHP +Ps through it, imagine my surprise when the quarter sized bullseye disappeared.

At 15 yards I could keep most shots in the upper chest area of a silhouette target, but my head shots were off, with only 2 of 6 finding the targets. :( But that was all my fault, as is the gun shooting to the left a bit.

I've definitely got to do something to improve the grips on the gun the stock ones feel great in the hand (that smoothed right grip is thinned as well, to fit the hand). But there just ain't enough to hang on to, as the gun jumps around in my hand, making quick follow ups all but impossible. I'm going to a gunshow tomorrow, we'll see what I can locate tomorrow.

Oh yea, did I mention this thing feels great slipped in my waistband? I never thought anything could beat my 1911 for concealment, but this baby is so much better. Now I just have to find a good IWB holster.

-Rob <--Who has a new love affair with K-Frames

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now a reason to go to gunshows. At the show today Rafter S Leather was there. They had one 4" K-frame holster, an IWB. It had a small spot of black dye on it (it's a natural tan), so I scored it for $40. Did I mention the Ostrich leather renforced mouthband? :)

·
Registered
502 Posts
Rob, you should be negotiating crude oil prices with Saudi Arabia ;) That bobbed DAO Mod 64 is a good IWB choice-enjoy! Regards, G>M>F>

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Nice revolver. V. nice price.
Do you know anything about it? Why DAO for instance?

I don't know if you have replaced the grips yet, but for IWB it would seem to be a candidate for consideration of a Tyler T-grip adapter and a K-frame size

http://www.baramihipgrip.com/

Thanks for the pictures.

--d.

G

·
Do you know anything about it? Why DAO for instance?
I've seen a few ads online for similar-looking 64s, but with rubber grips. At least a couple were dealers with more than one, and at least one of them said they were LEO surplus.

I'm guessing there was a large batch of them that were retired, and sold off to various dealers.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
That really is a nice find at a great price.

Police trade-ins can be great deals. As hard as it is for me to relate to, some cops only shoot their issued weapons when required to qualify with them, with no additional individual practice sessions. When their department/agency decides to change to a different weapon, often they will offer their current weapons in the deal to reduce their costs for the new firearms.

Most manufacturers will either deal direct or use a large dealer for the transaction. If they deal direct, they normally offer x number of the used weapons to several of their larger distributors as a thank you.

I had a gun store I used when I lived in GA that often got these trade-in and factory over-runs. Nearly everytime I walked in the manager would smile and say I have something you might want. I normally walked out with something too, lol.

Just a suggestion to folks. Don't automatically assume because the weapon is a police trade-in it will have been shot to death. Some will be, some will have the least use possible. So check them out, you might find a great buy.

Hope this might help someone.

twoguns

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I do not really know anything about the history of this piece, why it is DAO, etc. I'm pretty sure this gun was, not, a police trade-in. It's serial number dates from the early '90s (1993 I believe) so that would be a time when many agencies were going to semi-autos and not DAO .38s.

If I had to guess the provenance of this particular gun, I'd say it probably went to a Security company somewhere and probably served on an armed car route. There are no markings on the gun anywhere to indicate this though, nor are there any markings to indicate it went to a department of corrections or law enforcement office. So, to be perfectly honest, I just really don't know. I have read a rumor that alludes to the security company surplus, with this particular surplus of M64s. J&G Sales has a large amount of them and I'd guess the gunshop I went to had just bought a couple for quick resale.

As for the grips, I have not yet changed the grips. I'm actually toying with the idea of having the gun converted to round butt. A local smith I know and trust recently acquired a jig for doing this conversion. Since round butt grips are considerably more common for the K-frame, I'm leaning this way. However, the square butt does fit my hand quite well, so I may just relieve my stock grips for my speedloader, and add a t-grip.

-Rob

G

·
Hey Great Find,
See if your gun has NY-1 stamped on the inside of the frame where the model number would be. The NYPD authorized dao versions of the model 64, designated the NY-1 until the mid to late 1990's. I owned a three inch version of the same gun. Your gun probably was carried by a street officer by the looks of the grips. Again great gun. Gun was specifically made for the NYPD.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
kentuckycop,

Thanks for the heads up. It might let him figure his out a bit more if it is marked like that. But he did make me jealous falling into that one. I need to get out to more gun stores I guess.

Welcome to the site too sir. I think you will be surprised to see we have a great membership with a ton of knowledge they enjoy sharing with others.

Enjoy your time here, and thanks again.

twoguns

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi there,

My two all time best "finds", a S&W M-65 with 3" barrel, and early M-60 (1969 manufacture) were the result of walking into a gunshop and seeing them in the "used display case". I treasure both and won't part with either one of them.

The first place I go when I go into the local gunshop is the "used" display case and I keep a "please call me list" of desirable handguns with the salesman I deal with the most. I take him pizza and chicken wings occasionally to keep me at the "top" of his list.

As strange as it sounds, he always calls me first over a couple of other collectors.

Chris

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Mr. Chris,

I have heard of "buttering up" before, but I reckon lube (or grease) is lube by any name brand.

Now I am starting to understand some of those great finds and quick phone calls you get much better. But it certainly seems to be working.

twoguns

1 - 17 of 17 Posts