Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know when Kahr quit offering this gun from the factory, the K40 Covert:

The reason I ask is that there are a few NIB available arround, and I want to know if they are missing any of the more modern features, such as the extractor mods, hollow guide rod, etc. I know I can get a polymer version of this gun brand new, but I want the metal to help with recoil. I also want to keep away from more "full-size" guns with the longer grip. I can allways use the long magazine with extension on a shorter gun.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I didn't know they quit them.
I guess I wouldn't be that surprised, as the Coverts don't seem near as common as other models. A lot of people don't even seem to know about them.
Too bad. I think the Coverts are the best models.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Why not call Dottie Herold at Kahr and get the answer from the horse's mouth (as it were - no offense to Dottie!)?

Your recoil concern makes sense. While my P9 Covert is great, I had a very experienced friend get rid of a P40 Covert because it just recoiled too much.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My First Kahr was a K40 Covert. It was a great shooting pistol. It never failed to function. The K40 Covert does not have the Elite Trigger, as it was made before Kahr made the decision to include the Elite Trigger on all Kahr Models. The only current Kahr produced without the Elite Trigger now is the K9 with the NYCPD Trigger. The The NYCPD Trigger is the "old non-Elite Trigger". Which is the Trigger the K40 Covert has. The difference between the Elite and non-Elite trigger is distance of the Trigger travel. The Elite Trigger has a travel of 3/8" and the non-Elite has a travel of 1/2". The parts to convert a non-Elite Trigger Kahr to an Elite Trigger are available from Kahr for about $30.00.

The K40 Covert was a transitional model. Designed to be more concealable then the K40. It was produced before the MK40 was perfected and it was continued for a time after the MK40 started production The best I have been to figure out, is production of the K40 Covert was stopped in 2001 or 2002.

I found the K40 Covert to be easier to shoot then the MK40. My K40 Covert developed a crack in the frame in the rear of the Magwell. Kahr said it was due to a heat treating issue and because it no longer made they had to replace it with the model of my choice. I chose a MK40. (FWIW, I know of a MK40 Elite 2003 that had the same issue, so the crack was not an issue specific to the K40 Covert.)

I now own a MK40 and P40 Covert. I find the recoil of the P40 Covert and the MK40 to be about the same. However the recoil of the K40 Covert was much less.

YMMV. :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, great info. Thanks for the information on the different triggers, I was confused about all that as well. Same recoil for the P40Covert and MK40, huh? Sounds logical.

Of your two pistols, which is easier to conceal? I know the P40 Covert is longer, but it is MUCH lighter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
They both conceal about same. I carry IWB. The grip on each is the same and the slide is behind my belt. I found the extra 1/2 of slide a barrel of the Covert models really help tame the recoil compare to their shorter barreled brothers. The MK40 has the short barrel, but has more weight. The P40 Covert is lighter but the longer slide and barrel help tame the recoil. In my opinon the recoil of each to be about the same. However compared to the K40 Covert they are both handfuls.

I bought the P40 Covert because it is lighter, and I already knew the shootabilty advantage of the longer barrel of the P40 Covert. I will admit I shot a P9, a P40 and my MK40 side by side to compare before I purchased the P40 Covert.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts