Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I wrote at the beginning of december of a gun show which turned short after I managed to reserve a Colt 1903.

Last friday, I made the trip to the dealer in another town, after a long wait due to New Year delays by the authority for the permit.

I remembered that the finish was sorry. Well, it is, with small rests of the glorious Colt blue. I remembered a nicked grip. Well both are crudely glued after nearly a century of good and honest (?) use. Out of these defect that allowed me to drop the already low price, the gun is in good mecanical condition and very clean inside.

It is a pleasure to handle this elegant piece, with the grip safety and the clean thin lines of a tiny 1911. The inner parts are lovely machined, the one piece trigger with bar is a work of art. My friend Chris has already ordered a repro grips set. It could make a candidate for a restauration job but I don't know of any expert here in Switzerland for old Colt blue. I'm not interested in park or nickel. So I will probably leave it as is.

Oh, I forgot to mention: it is a 1903, 7,65, no 144xxx, made in 1913. It has a big brother in the safe in the form of a FN 1903, 9 mm browning long.

One day, I will post some pics of my pieces, for those who are interested.

L.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hello Larry,

I am extremely happy for you and after so much waiting that you were able to finally get the Colt 1903 in hand finally, and I may offer to add, after the long trip you made to pick it up!

It sounds like your Colt has already seen a "life time of service" and perhaps will be a reminder of the glorious days past of the early history of the semi automatic pistol in the historical sense. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that it will be a treasure in your collection!

If you can find the time and the way, we would love to see a picture of it. If not, than perhaps when I return to your country in 2008, you will allow me to come visit and see it first hand!

Again Larry, congradulations on your latest aquisition!

Chris

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pictures or not, you are welcomed here, Chris!

For the pics, my problem is to steal my wife's camera for while and, more dangerous, do some place on the memory card...

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hello Larry,

I solved that problem with my wife's camera by buying a small memory card to put my own pics on until I figured out that I could transfer them directly to "My Pictures" without leaving a clandestine track of my handgun picture taking activity.....

Should you be able to, I would love to see some pictures of your fine collection of "historical firearms".

In the meantime, I wanted to ask if you were going to attempt to function test Colt 1903 at the range?

By the way, here is a link to Turnbull Restorations to give you an idea of how much it would cost to restore the Colt 1903 here in the US by one of the premier refinishers:

http://www.turnbullrestoration.com/

Best,

Chris

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I never resist to, at least, test function any firearms in my possession. Only exception is a 1895 Boers Mauser, for safety concerns.

For the 1903, I wait for your grips because I don't want the glued ones to crash in my hand.

Bye.

L.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hello Larry,

Hopefully, the grips will arrive today/tomorrow and then its off across the Atlantic for the great journey eastward to join your latest acquistion. It seems that it takes less time to get there barring any hold-up at customs and I'll PM you when they ship.

I assume the originals are bakelite grips?

I really need to try to see if I can find some hard rubber originals now...... ;)

Chris

1 - 8 of 8 Posts