Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are your thoughts on a child's first handgun? I guess I am speaking to those who have children. My son, who is 11, wants to have his own sidearm. He received a Wincherster 9422 for his 9th Christmas and he and I have put many a round through it and through my Remington bolt gun. Whenever we go to the indoor range, we take the Ruger Mk I and put many rounds downrange. He is very careful and can recite the 4 gun laws on command. He is especially cognizant of Rule #3. He thinks that he wants a Beretta 92FS for his 12th Christmas. How many of you that have kids have been through this predicament? I thought I would start him out on a Model 10 and let him get comfortable with that. He has told me that he likes to shoot the Model 19, but he does not want a .38. Oh, what is a father to do?

Looking for advice here. Not opposed to the Beretta, but just not sure.

Matt

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
A friend of mine's dad got each of his grandsons a Ruger Bearcat they can shoot on range days. Both guns were clunkers he rebuilt and refinished in a two-tone green and black Black-T, just to make them "special."

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
+1 on the Bearcat. :)

I picked one up for my 11-year-old godson to play with (if he can get it away from me, that is! ;)):

I think the Sack Peterson elk antler stocks really set it off.

A 92-series Beretta has an awful fat gripframe for a lot of adults, let alone a pre-pubescent 12-yr-old boy. But if your kid wants a .357 . . . :-/

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hard to go wrong with a Ruger Bearcat. A Single Six would be fine too!

My first handgun was a Super Single Six in 1969. Still shoot it today. My most nostalgic handgun that takes me back to when I was a kid.

You sound like the kind of Dad your son will always love and remember. Good for you.

Steve

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Truth be known, a Single Six would actually be better, as you could then teach about sighting in and the use of adjustable sights.

And it's just a really useful handgun. If your kid wants to be a handgun hunter, a Single Six would be a good start.

Good Daddy!

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Hello:

When my Daughter was 5, she laid claim on one of my S&W Model 649's, when she turned 8, she was nice enough to give it back, but took a 9mm Browning High Power. I don't expect to ever get The High Power back.

When my son was 5 he wanted one of our High Power's, but he couldn't cycle the slide and got mad because of it, and laid claim on an old Bersa Series 95 we have, he's still happy with the old Bersa, but he really want's a coupla 1911's & High Power's now that he's strong enough to cycle the slides.

·
Regulator,
2,353 Posts
Matt,
A training suggestion if I may.....If you start him out on a Model 10, make sure you don't let him develop a two hand hold in which his support hand is up near the barrel cylinder gap. Small women and kids do that because their small hands don't want to enclose each other in a conventional two-hand hold around the grips, so they go reaching forward with the support hand and get it burned or lacerated. Take him out let him watch as you fire the gun with a towel wrapped around the gap. Then let him see the blast and burn damage to the towel. He really needs to know this if you're starting him out with a center fire revolver, and especially if you allow him to have a .357 Magnum. IMHO
Best.
JayPee

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hello,

I started both of my boy's on a Ruger Mark II and would let them shoot a 9mm S&W 908 from time to time. I bought both of them rifles year's ago and it was their foundation to learning firearms protocol and safety.

Since then, one of my son's enlisted in the USMC and I built him an M-4 AR-15. When was on leave last, I asked him if he wanted one of my handguns and he replied, "no sir, the M-4 will suit all of my needs...."

Go figure.......

Chris

·
Registered
204 Posts
I would go with the Single Six - I'm trying to find one for my 9 year old right now. It's funny - the first pistol I ever fired was a BHP when I was 9 years old, and I never forgot it. The Beretta 92-F does have a huge grip, as someone mentioned, and you can get a lot more shooting from a .22 for the same dollar.

·
Regulator,
3,441 Posts
Gents,

Good thread! My first handgun was an alloy framed Ruger Bearcat. At 17 oz. it was easy to pack, accurate, and cheap to shoot. All good attributes to go with kid's guns.
That Bearcat is now my 8 year old grandson's favorite pistol and I suspect I'll lose it to him one of these days. I've had it for 45 years so it may be time to pass it on...

I'm a firm believer that the first pistol should be a revolver and be chambered for the .22 LR cartridge.

Wes

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy folks,

I readily admit I have never had children. But I have helped to teach several of my close friends' children how to shoot their first weapons. As a long time LEO firearms instructor, the dads worked and trained with me, and trusted me to get their children started off on the correct footing. I was happy and honored to help out like that too.

Count me in the crowd that feels for the first handgun, it would be mighty hard to beat a Super Single Six Ruger in 22lr. As was suggested, if he wants to hunt, add the 22mag cylinder, and he has the advantage of hunting with a platform he/she has a lot of hands on with already.

Among the major brands, I personally consider the 92 to be one of the largest. My concern would be the thick grip, couple with the fact the child might have trouble working the levers correctly right now with smaller hands. I would be concerned due to its size, they would develop some safety handing issues that would be hard to break later on.

Just my thoughts, but I hope they might give you some other things to consider anyway sir.

twoguns

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I guess I should have penned this, " A twelve year old's first handgun"....We have moved away from the Beretta and are now thinking about the 1911 in .45ACP. Contemplating either a Springfield GI model or a Colt Govt or Commander model. Perhaps I should just let this thing play out and see where we stand after several months. He may come full circle back to a Ruger Standard or Mk II. Thanks for all the input. I have enjoyed reading others' opinions.

Matt

·
Registered
392 Posts
i bought a s&w 4" model 63 for my daughter....

its a great "first gun", and a great gun for an experienced shooter too i will add.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts