Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

My soon-to-be adopted son wants to dress up for Holloween as an Old West gunslinger.

Well, he has a couple toy 1873s, but he's gone and lost the holsters. They most likely got trashed by his grandmother because they were probably left in the yard by the 6yr old.

Ok, no biggie, says I, calvary carry was popular then. Tuck them into a sash, dress him up in a white button up shirt and black pants, tie on the sash, and tuck them in, butt foward, and put his wide-brimmed hat on him.

Ria (my fiance) says he needs holsters so "people know what he's supposed to be."

Well, I tried to explain that, a lot of the time, people didn't use holsters back then if they found them inconvenient. She wasn't in the mood for a history lesson.

What I need, and can't find on my computer, is a good pic of Wild Bill Hikock or the like with the calvary carry method.

Does anyone have one handy?

Thanks,

Josh <><

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Berto,

Thank you!

I find it strange that after cartridge arms became available he still chose to use the cap'n'ball Navys.

Goes to show, just because it's old, doesn't mean it's useless

Thanks again,

Josh <><

G

·
I think a couple of things played into the decision to stay with percussion guns after metallic cartridges came into being. For someone like Wild Bill, it was likely a matter of trust. He knew his Colt Navys worked and handled well. The same couldn't be said for some of the early cartridge guns. And I'm sure economics played a part for many, but not likely a "professional" like Hickock. Let's face it, the American West of the post-Civil War period was a very tough place to live from an econmic standpoint. Except for a very few who made a killing, the vast majority of people were dirt poor. War surplus percussion weapons were very cheap compared to the new fangled cartridge arms. So too were loose powder, balls and caps.

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bill,

Kinda' like the 9mm and .45acp and traditional frames vs the .357sig and such and the new polymer, scandium, etc frames of today... Old and cheap vs new and expensive...

Some things you just trust...

And yeah, that was partly my point. Could he have even shot an 1873 as well? I can't shoot a Glock .40 as well as a metal 9mm. I can hit with it but am not confident with it...

History repeats... everything's a revolution I guess.

(I'm tired and getting philosophical here, forgive me).

Josh <><

1 - 5 of 5 Posts