Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of those things that makes you shake you head. I was at American Shooting Center in west Houston earlier this week and some dude brought his girlfriend to shoot. I believe he was a reguler as the range officers seemed to know him. He stated that his galpal had never fired a gun before. They set in the lane next to me and this joker pulled a Glock .45 and a .460 S&W magnum out of his range bag.

He started her off on the Glock. She fired one shot, screamed and dropped the gun. Oh, and he had fully loaded the mag.
She sceamed on the next couple of shots but kept hold of the gun. He then tried to get her to shoot the .460 but she refused. He demonstrated by shooting a cylinder and by than she was obviously intimidated and wouldn't have anything to do with the big gun.

What ever happened to starting beginners off on a .22?

Tex

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi there,

Well. She'll probably never go shooting with him again!

I really have a strong disdain for folks that take their significant others shooting and then promptly turn them off "forever" by demonstating their "domination" with the "big gun"!

But, I really do enjoy seeing a first timer/significant other scoring better than their partner with their own favorite handgun!

It happened to me with my second wife and her "shooting lessons" at the range with my own borrowed Springfield Mil Spec .45 ACP!

I hope she finds a more "sympathetic" partner.

Chris

G

·
I'm surprised to ROs didn't intervene. Not exactly safe practice tossing a Glock around, loaded or unloaded. In any event, I guess he proved to himself he's tougher than she is...

Over the Xmas holidays I witnessed just the opposite experience at ASC. A guy was out there accompanying about five or six teenagers who were shooting .22 pistols. They were comparing hits and keeping score. At first I thought it was a junior high shooting team. When I asked him about it, he said they were his nephews and nieces visiting from around the country. It was so cool. A bunch of young cousins having a ball and properly learning how to shoot. I'm sure they'll always have fond memories of that day.

Sadly, the GF you saw will probably always feel bad about her day at the range. Maybe she'll wise up and find a better guy with a better self image.

Max

G

·
I mean to get a 1911 at some point, and put a .22 conversion unit on it. To me, there's no better gun for teaching someone the basics of shooting an automatic. It familiarizes them with basically every kind of safety, automatically punishes poor grip, and the light trigger shows them why it's so important to keep your finger outside of that trigger guard.

I also mean to get a long-barrelled .22 revolver.

From either of these guns, you can move someone up to a large-framed .38 or a full-size, steel-framed 9mm, two guns in acceptable defensive cartridges, with relatively light recoil.

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Something I learned: Don't show off.

I practice by shooting penny sized targets at 25yds with my .22 rifle. I never thought anything of it. I like to be able to nail squirrel in the noggin reliably at that distance with open sights.

I took my fiance shooting with .22 CB caps for her. I set up a milk jug, a paper sack, you know, a bunch of big targets, at 15yds for her.

We took turns, me poppin' pennies at 25 yards and her having shotgun pattern sized groups at 15 yards.

I told her she was doing well -- and she was, she steadily improved over the course of the afternoon. She's only shot with me a couple times though, and reflecting I think it may be because she felt inferior -- a feeling she doesn't like. She was enjoying herself when she was shooting, but hasn't gone since.

When there's ammo and a target a like to shoot, but I probably should have just let her run the show and the only time I should have said "boo" is if there was a lapse in gun safety.

Sometimes I'm just slow.

Josh <><

·
Registered
169 Posts
My wife's first experience shooting was when her ex husband gave her a 12 ga loaded and buckshot. Then he and his buddies all had a good laugh when it about kicked her shoulder off. No instruction about how to hold the gun, how get it tight to her shoulder, just here shoot this. (giggle)

When she started shooting a pistol with me, all I had were a Taurus 85, and a Taurus 66. She quickly told me the 85 kicked too hard. She liked the 66. A couple days later we went to the gun store and got her a Bersa firestorm. She quickly learned to shoot, and to enjoy it. That little Bersa has sent thousands of rounds downrange. She carried it for a year as her CW. Nope a 22 isn't really good for that, but it's better than nothing, and she had confidence in the gun, and in her ability to shoot the 10 ring out of the target with it.

Now she shoots all of our handguns, and carries a Makarov as her carry gun. I watched her the other day and I literally mean the center part of the target disappeared under a barage of 9x18 slugs.

I'll bet that moron you saw is really proud of himself. He can shoot a BIG gun, better than a little woman who had never shot a gun before. Now she knows she NEEDS him to protect her. Sad. Personally I am very proud to say my wife can outshoot me most any day. She can catch more fish most days too.

I got a good one.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
FWIW: Many, many years ago in my native Pacific Northwest at my favorite indoor shooting range...a place where I rented many handguns and learned lots of shooting skills...there are many tourists who show up from Japan. How they got written up in such circuits is a mystery, but that is how it is. Obviously gun laws in Japan have been highly restrictive since, oh, the sixteenth century I guess, but there is a community of avid gun fanciers of all kinds. If memory serves, the founder of the Beni Hana steak-house chain became a U.S. citizen primarily to pursue his interests in firearms...but I digress.
Anyhow, some of these Japanese folks were more thrill seekers and less serious shooters unfamiliar with the basics of safe gun handling. There'd be cases where they would request the rental of "the .44 Magnum, just like Dirty Harry!" or some similar Hollywood-derived gun. The range officers had to watch people like hawks, lemme tell ya. In one case a group decided to memorialize their shooting experience in the US of A by posing with the rental gun for a photo session! The range master came rushing out and really chewed 'em out for that type of behavior. Lots of apologizing and bowing, but nothing doing: safety first, last and always!
+1 on the .22 as a starter gun, and I'd guess that it is such strange cultural and interpersonal male/female displays and rituals that often have range operators using those insurance company-mandated tests before they let shooters onto a range!

G

·
I recently had the honor of taking a female friend to the range (not a significant other, just a good friend). She had been wanting to learn how to shoot for awhile. I had intended on starting her out on my Walther P22, but I had it loaned out on the day she wanted to go to the range, so I had her shoot my BHP in 9mm. She actually did really good, and was able to handle the gun quite well. She did enjoy herself very much, and we ended up going again a week later. And she's now looking to buy her first gun, so I must have done an ok job!
But yeah, giving a first-time female shooter a big caliber firearm without the proper instruction or warning about the power of the gun seems like a silly thing to do. Just not very gentlemanly of a guy. Especially since I think more women need to learn to shoot and defend themselves from those sick people who prey on them. It can be quite a dangerous world for a women who's by herself, and making them afraid of the tools they need to defend themselves is foolish, in my opinion.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts