Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy Mr. Adguy,

I am going from memory here, but about 15+ years ago I attended a training course by my agency to be blessed to qualify co-workers with the MP-5 SMG. Our ballistics expert in our national firearms unit had done testing and ballistic work ups with all the 9mm rounds we issued or allowed for issuance at that point in time. We issued at least one standart 124 JHP, one +P 124 JHP, and a standard 147 JHP.

His work up concluded when using the 147 JHP (I think it was Winchester Ranger then) to sight the MP-5 in with, a 25 yard zero would produce a 100 yard zero as well, which was what my agency considered its maximum effective range to be.

Since I controlled the office ammo and issuance of the MP-5 to co-workers, initially I issued the 147 JHP for duty use, quals and practice with that platform. Over time we selected other duty rounds in 9mm, and were issued the Speer Gold Dots in 124 standard and +P, and the +P+ 115. We quickly discovered that the 115 +P+ was damaging the roller bearings in the MP-5s, and stopped allowing the +P+ for duty use in any platform.

Using either of the 124 Gold Dot loads and the 124 +P Remington GS, we had no problems with the MP-5s, which if I recall correctly, our model has a 9" barrel. I have no problems using the 124 JHPs, but my preference would also be for the 147 JHP. I think you get increased accuracy and velocity from the longer barrel, so I prefer to send a bit more lead downrange when possible too. Just my thoughts, and I hope they might help you a bit anyway.

twoguns

· Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy Mr. Dave,

I am sure no expert, and no one will ever hear me claim to be, lol. But I can share what little I know and think. As Mr. Wes pointed out, the original 147gr JHP was developed for the Navy SEALS to fire in suppressed SMG platforms. It was subsonic to reduce the "crack" and gave it a bit more weight on target.

I was fairly close with our ballistics man and he told me the reason he liked the 147gr in the MP-5 was the fact the round was dead on at both 25 and 100 yards. He felt because of that, anything in between the two distances would remain close enough for govt work, so to speak. At ranges less than 25 yards, precise sight alignment would not be as much an issue anyway.

As far as wind resistance issues, personally, I simply don't think in a normal breeze (however that would be defined) the difference between say a 147, a 124, or even a 115 would be worthy of concern. I simply think our man liked the 147 gr in the MP-5 as he had previously worked for HP White Labs and had some involvement in the original 147gr JHP concept. He felt it was good initially, and things had not really changed his mind. But as more effective 9mm rounds such as Gold Dots were developed, he was smart enough to realize there were other good rounds to be considered too.

Not really a precise answer to your question sir, but I hope it helps a bit anyway.

twoguns

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.