Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 642 with the new lock. I pick it up next week. Has anyone had problems with lock. I hate it but I didn't want take a change buy a used and beat 642 instead.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
In the gun press there have been reports of some parts of the locking system moving under the very heavy recoil in the fly-weight titanium/scandium Smith&Wesson .357 revolvers and tying up the gun.

Try the Smith forum (www.smith-wessonforum.com, I think) for more info.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi serg,

I own a 642-2 and haven't had any problems with the lock.

Alan is correct, there have been issues in some of the larger framed scandium framed revolvers as reported on the S&W website.

The only problem that I have heard on this board is from Erich about an "usual" situation, but it did not concern me prior to making my purchase.

I have put over 500 rounds through mine and most days, it is my primary CWP handgun here in hot, sunny SC.

Let us know how you like it.

Chris

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi serg,

Compared to my all stainless steel M-60, the 642-2 is a featherweight! Often times, it rides comfortably in my pocket without me noticing the bulk or the weight.

When firing heavier cartridges, you will notice the difference in recoil!

You won't regret the purchase!

I also have a DeSantis Nemesis holster that I carry mine in for even lighter weight. At less than $20.00, they are a bargain. Armed with the revolver and Bianchi Speed Strips for reloading, you have a very concealable and effective carry package!

Chris

·
Registered
51 Posts
The 642-- what a great gun. The lock has not presented a problem on any of my Smiths, heavy recoil or not. I carry the 642 almost every day and practice with it frequently. I think you will enjoy your new purchase.
The 642 does have an unusual coating on the frame that wears quickly. I finally had mine bead blasted and sprayed with a dark green duracoat. It looks better, some may disagree, and the coating is more durable than the original.

WHW

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I have several Smiths with locks, including a 625 Mountain Gun in .45 Colt, a 625 full lug Model of 1989 in .45 ACP, and the M638 in my pocket, which of the three is most similar to your 642. I've had exactly ONE "issue" with the lock, and it was my fault anyway, so I won't go into the explanation. The 638 has fired umpteen hundreds of rounds without a hitch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts