Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to find out what are the weight and dimensional differences, if any, between the 629 Mountain Gun and the N Frame Thunder Ranch .44 Sp. Thanks.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I asked this question because S & W's Web site does not give the specifications of the Thunder Ranch .44 Sp., nor do the published reviews that I've read. I do know that like the 629 Mt. Gun it's an N-frame with a 4" thin barrel and round butt. It lacks the 629's adjustable sights but has the same length cylinder. If the overall weight and dimensions are identical or even similar, as they seem to be, why limit oneself to the .44 Sp? Just as the K-frame .357s give the shooter the best of both worlds in their ability to handle both the .38 Sp and the magnum load, the Mt. Gun, I feel, has a similar advantage.

G

·
Sorta. I have to work pretty hard to get the crud out of the cylinder bores after firing specials in my Mountain Gun. So I've resorted to downloading magnums.

After pondering this for awhile, I've decided maybe the .45 Colt might be preferrable for someone like me who doesn't really need/want mgnum power.

I prefer the history of the .44 special as a S&W round, though. Plus it's lovely to shoot. So I'm looking for a 696.

Max

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Max, you aren't the only one who solves chamber crud problems by shooting only magnum brass. I virtually NEVER shoot .38 Specials in my .357 Magnum guns. I have nice midrange magnum rounds loaded up for plinking at the range, even though I have oversized brushes that clean a chamber in about two seconds flat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts