Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You guys are really bad, by that I mean everytime I peruse the Revolver forum, I find myself longing for something new. So, while I'm busy saving for my next purchase(a .38 snubby), I'm looking forward to the gun after that. A rash of "new" 3" S&W 65s, and seeing a 3" Colt Python( ~insert boyish drooling here), has left me seeing a need for a 3" .357.

So, help me out folks here are a couple of questions:

Which S&W K-frame models came as 3" .357 variants?

And

Any other brands out there do 3" .357s? I know the very rare 3" Pythons. I believe Ruger has a 3" GP100, did they do a 3" Security Six?

Thanks guys, and pics of your 3" .357s would be cool too.

-Rob

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Howdy,

The S&W Models 13, 65, 66 and 19 are available as K-frame .357s, but the latter two are very rarely found in 3" guise.

If you want to see photos of the rare ones, head on over to the postwar revolver section at the S&W Forum. :) A fellow just found a 3" 66-3 for $289, which is pretty staggeringly cheap.

No 3" Security-Six, but they did 2 3/4" Security- and Speed-Sixes. Ruger's 3" GP is nice.

Of course, there are 3" S&W and Ruger 5-shots . . .

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Rob, here's the 2 3/4" Speed Six. I have a couple of these, and I like them a lot.

There was also a 66 with Hi Viz sights in 3" (with 2 1/2" 66 for comparison):

And finally, there was once a Performance Center 66 with integral compensater that came in at a shade over 3 inches:

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi Rob,

The 3" 6-shot .357 magnums were produced by S&W from time to time. I just checked their 2006 catalog yesterday that my gun dealer brought home from the Shot Show in Las Vegas and the only 3" K frame they are cataloging this year is the M-64 in .38 special.

You can still find used ones on www.gunbroker.com and www.gunsamerica.com and they will fetch a premium as time progresses. I spent about 4 months looking for mine until one just happened into my local gun shop.

Here is a picture of it in its current condition. Its not a really good pic:

Right now, it is up at the S&W factory in Springfield, MA getting a check-up and hopefully a little face lift. I will post a picture of it when it comes back next week in its redone form. ;)

Chris

G

·
congratulations, Leland; you've just shown me something my eyes have never seen before.

What kind of funky grips are those with a hammer shroud on 'em?

They win the weird award for the day, just beating out a mockingbird I saw that looked like a tennis ball with wings.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Those are Bianchi "Lightning" grips, made for Bianch by Pachmayr. Now-discontinued, they are pretty easily found used online.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I briefly had a 3" model 66. It was amongnst the most accurate handguns I have ever owned.

Unfortunately the guy who traded it to me needed it back after about a year and I had to part with it :-[

I have a couple of 2.5" 66s and an M19 as well as M13 and M65 but, alass, none of the them are as accurate as the dearly departed M66.

Still they are nifty. While the .357 is not really itself in 3" or even 4" barrels, it is still OK and the looks and feel of a 3" K is really neat. So is a 3.5" M-27 come to think of it!

Jim

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Bummer, Jim. I've had the same sort of situation happen (get a gun from a friend, have him ask for it back, give it back but regret not having it anymore); you did the right thing, but - bummer! :(

I think you've succinctly summed it up here: "While the .357 is not really itself in 3" or even 4" barrels, it is still OK and the looks and feel of a 3" K is really neat."

I think a .357 magnum comes into its own in a 6" or longer tube, and that these shorter barrels bring some pretty drastic compromises with them. They are handy, though - I feel like a 3" K-frame is one of the best "combat carry" handguns available, and those terrifically durable and easy-to-use S&W adjustable sights and an underbarrel shroud would really take the cake. If I see a 3" 66 in a local shop, I'm buying it.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmm, the 2 3/4" Rugers are very nice. How much bigger are they than a K-Frame though? They look considerably larger, like N-Frame size.

Looking at all the sweet 3" .357s is starting to really get to me. I guess you guys finally got me bit by the revolver bug. If I don't find a Colt D-Frame before the end of the year, one of those 3" surplus Model 10s J&G has might find its way into my safe!

-Rob

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi Rob,

I just got my J&G sales flyer.

Under their used handgun listings, they do have some Colt Detective Specials for sale.

If you decide to call them, they are on page 9 of their flyer and list for $299.00/each.

They are not listed on their website and do not have pictures.

Chris

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Rob, the Security-Sixes will fit into a K-frame Bianchi hard-leather holster with no problem. They're pretty much the same size, although probably more robust. They take a different speedloader, though.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi there,

I would have to say that the 3" S&W K-frame is about the best proportionate balance of frame size and barrel length on a magnum revolver.

The GP-100 is a very nice gun though.

Chris

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Didn't Canada ban all short-barrelled revolvers? Or is that just for those of us coming to visit?

My dad just built a house on Superior about 70 miles N of Sault Ste. Marie, and I'd love to bring my 3" 65-5 . . . but don't think I can. :(

·
Registered
392 Posts
i had at one time (and lament selling it) a gp100 with a 3" barrel. it was a canadian trade in of some sorts from the RCMP or something like that.

it was one of the best balanced guns ive handled. the trigger was lacking as is the case with most stock rugers.....but the gun was built to last even with a steady diet of hot magnums.....

if i ever have the cash and the luck at the same time again, im getting another and holding on to it.

G

·
I have a 3" model 13 round butt. It's my favorite revolver. A shoting buddy has a 3" GP100. It's a wonderful revolver.

G

·
I have a 2.75-in Security Six that weighs 31 oz, and I think that--unlike the GP100--it's actually slightly lighter than S&W 3-in K-frames. My quick search failed to find comparison weights for the 2.5-in and 3-in S&W K-frames, but my Gun Trader's Guide does indicate the 4-in S&W 19 & 66 models weigh 35 oz while the 4-in Security Six only weighs 33.5 oz.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts