Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know if there was ever a 6.5MM version of the proposed 6MM SAW cartridge developed? If so, what are/were the specifications as far as bullet weight, muzzle velocity, SD, BC, etc.?

Crash ???

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you are referring to the original Squad Automatic Weapon project from many years ago, I am not sure. The original 6mm SAW used the existing 5.56mm (.223 Rem) case.

Onward,
Jim H.

Jim,

The neck on the 6mm SAW sure looks a lot longer to me than the neck on the 5.56mm case.....

Crash

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Crash;

Do you have a link to a picture or anything. I actually have a Barrel and 6mm SAW ammo, but it is possible that there was an experimental round before the final one.

Official cartridge designation is 6X45mm

Jim.
Jim,

I will find one and forward to you....

Crash

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Crash;

I see. If you note the 1st type (on the left) has a case about as long as the 5.56X45 but the shoulder is set back making the neck longer. This round, when loaded was too long to fit in m-16 mags and was dropped pretty early I think. Same with the Aluminum cased ammo that had a slightly longer case and an even longer O.A.L.

Jim
Jim,

As I said before, it looks to me like that long neck would allow you to seat a longer, heavier bullet, e.g., 140 gr, deep enough without extending down into the body of the case. I know this is asking a lot, but if you necked it up to 6.5mm and then used a 140 gr bullet in a rifle with a 20" - 24" barrel, what kind of velocity do you think you'd get?

Crash

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Crash,
This is a wild guess but the round looks kind of similar to the 6.5 Grendel. I suspect with a 140 you would be getting around 2400 to 2500 from a 20". I think the Grendel is set up for a 120 (which is not really all that bad sectional density wise) at about 2700+ from a 20". A 140 6.5 is *very* long.

It certainly has some merit for long range stuff in a carbine. Tactical penetration is not bad either.

Jim
Jim,

My purpose in asking these questions is that it looks to me like "my" 6.5mm SAW would be a good compromise for both a defensive(I'm staying away from the terms "assault" and "Main Battle Rifle") weapon and a hunting rifle. With the 123 Scenar as used in the Grendel it should be pretty good for defensive purposes and with a 140 gr bullet it should work well for small (Texas Hill Country whitetails) to medium (mulies) deer.

I think a semi-auto with a 20" barrel ought to do both jobs.
Now, of course, all I have to do is find some 6mm SAW brass, neck it up to 6.5mm and have a rifle made up for it....oh well, a fella can dream, can't he?

Crash

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.