Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like the look and feel of S & W 5" barrelled revolvers. Does anyone know if Smith ever made a K frame .357 in such a barrel length? Perhaps a 19 or 66? Or a special run in a fixed sight model? I own both an N and L frame 5" .357, and Smith's new offering of a J frame 5" magnum has me rationalizing another way to "invest." (Family members don't seem to understand my logic. They listen, grin, and shake their heads.) Regardless, a set of 5" .357s in all four frame sizes I find appealing. Thank you for your responses.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I feel you: I'm partial to the 5"ers myself. :)

But the only 5" K-frame I've ever seen was a custom-made 66 (back when I worked in a gun store, many moons ago). It didn't have that perfect feel that a 5" N-frame has, at least to me. :-/

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In the Aug. '04 issue of SHOOTING ILLUSTRATED, Wiley Clapp has an article entitled "The Favored 'In-Betweener.'" Therein he writes, "I have also seen factory-original Model 19 Combat Magnums and Model 15 Combat Masterpieces with admittedly scarce five-inch barrels." Has anyone seen one of these or heard of them elsewhere? All feedback appreciated.

G

·
I have seen one ever 5" factory K-Smith. It was a nickel plated M19 NIB at a gun show a good many years ago.

I shot a 5" sawn off M19 for the brief period it was allowed in IDPA SSR. Handy. Had it recut to 4" when the rules changed.

You might ask over at
http://smith-wessonforum.com/eve
They are on a constant search for uncommon variants. If you find one, it won't be cheap.

G

·
Supica says 5-inchers exist but are quite rare. At least one 85/8 was built too. One 9mm M19 eixsts too believe it or not.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you, Mr. Watson, for the suggestion regarding the Smith forum. That's my next stop. I suppose that if I ever found one, it would be too valuable to shoot--even if I could afford the asking price.

G

·
IIRC, the Florida Highway Patrol had a run of 5" nickeled M19s, while the Illinois State Police had 5" M14s and 15s.

G

·
Corky, have you considered the limited edition 686P 5"?

It is an L frame, but L frames have the K frame grips.

It's a 7 shot cylinder and 1/2 lugged 5" barrel. Comes with High Viz ramp front sight and finger-grooved cocobolo wood grips.

I just ordered one but should warn you that I'm having a tought time finding a holster for it!

Hmmm. I just re-read your original post and you might already have one. If you do, could you tell me what holsters you use for the 5" L frame and where you got them? Is/are your L's 6 or 7 shot?

Perpster

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I have seen pictures of a 5" M-19. I forget which special eddition it is. But I have never seen one in the flesh.

I have seen several 5" model 10 tapered barrel revolvers. I think my local shop has an old one right now or did this weekend.

Have or have had several 5" N-frames. I really like the length for a "field" gun.

Jim

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Perpster: I do own and much enjoy shooting the 5" 686+; that's what inspired me to begin a search for a 5" K-frame .357. So far, no luck.

G

·
As far as being "double-teamed" by the Watsons, the one you have to watch out for is Dr. Watson of Sherlock Holmes fame. Anyone who'd put much faith in a .450 revolver probably hadn't shot much with it!

I found enough errors in the Holmes books that I couldn't enjoy them, by the way. Not that I'm sure what that really has to do with this thread... ;)

Gemini 2

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Perpster: I failed to answer your question regarding holsters. The various belt slides are all that I have located for the 5". Actually I have yet to carry it, just a bit too large and heavy.

Gemini2: I know little about the effectiveness of the .450, but I loved the Holmes stories when I read them years ago and would enjoy roaming the moors with Holmes, Watson and the great hound once again--perhaps with a Webley Bulldog in my pocket.

G

·
Corky-

The .450 Adams was found wanting in stopping power in the Ashanti War of 1878 (?) and the .476 Enfield replaced it. The .476 seems to have been an effective cartridge, with a 288 grain bullet at some 700 FPS, but the revolver for it from Enfield Arsenal wasn't well liked, being replaced by the Webley Mk. I in 1888.

Holmes used the .450, and he would sit in his apartment and shoot into the WALL for fun! That it didn't penetrate better should have led him to "detect " that he needed more power. His gun is widely thought to have been a Webley No. 2 pocket revolver or the RIC model with short barrel. Dr. Watson, at least, used his service revolver, being a retired military surgeon, so would at least probably have gotten what one might hope for from a225 grain bullet at only a nominal 550 FPS.

Oh: I believe that Sherlock also used cocaine. Not a good example for readers.

Gemini

1 - 17 of 17 Posts