Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy Mr. bbwolf,

I think it is a very interesting question, but you may not get a great deal of responses depending on which country members live in.

I know in my dealings with some federal police in Mexico, there both the .38 Super (or Super 38 whichever phrase you prefer) and the .45 acp are considered police/military calibers and civilians are not allowed to possess them.

In some foreign travels my job required during one period, I was in several other countries, and often heard similar restrictions existed on .45 acp there too. My travels largely took me to Central and South American countries, where I would be told of the restriction.

So it will be interesting to see what kind of responses your question will generate. I really do think it will depend on where the member lives.

twoguns

·
Registered
89 Posts
I live in Peru, and am a huge 1911 in .45 fan, got one. I'm only allowed to use it as sports shooting (not for carry nor defense) but I do get the chance to shoot it from time to time at the range. There aren't many, so ammo is quite expensive here though.
Regards,

·
Registered
580 Posts
In Australia 9mm and 38 SPL seem to be the "norm".
I talked to an armed Security Guard once in Sydney and he was jealous that we could own 45's with no problems. The "highlight" of his gun handling career was getting to shoot seven "Ball" rounds out of a 1911.
I know of an aussie copper that wanted to buy a Glock 35 and was denied due to the caliber. He wanted it for IPSC competition. I think many countries have caliber restrictions that we here don't have in the United States, yet.

Biker

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Australia passed another piece of rubbish legislation some years ago that limited private handgun ownership to .38 or less and barrel lengths of 150mm or greater. Also has a 10 magazine cap. limit.

Just more reasons I'm here and not there.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Biker, we all miss the OZ of days gone by.

Spikey, thanks. The fact that there are so many Ex-pats from many English-speaking countries here says it all. Actually Mate, given that we can leave our homes for more free environs sets a bit of an example for you; what with you living in oppressed Northern Illinois.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy folks,

Just a suggestion/request here. If you just have to make some type of political comment in response to a thread, please send it to the person in a pm rather than posting it openly. Making political comments of any type violate our rules here.

I am making this request to avoid having to see any of our members being temporarily suspended or banned, as the mods simply do not wish to take either action if they can be avoided.

Thanks for understanding and cooperating.

twoguns

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Mea culpa, Mea culpa, Mea culpa.

My apologies. I did not consider what I said to be a political comment, but rather a friendly gest.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Mr. Abninftr,

Thanks for understanding sir. The problem is a friendly jest or joke has a way of starting a life of its own and things quickly get out of hand. We simply need to avoid those possible situations.

Thanks for understanding sir.

twoguns

1 - 12 of 12 Posts