Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Any opinions as to the quality of Star? This is the .45 model that seems to be a clone of the 1911. There is no grip safety. I'm tempted to pick it up for $300.00 but thought that I'd run it by for some opinions first.

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
I have never seen a .45ACP Star. I have used a lot of .38 Largo's and the AS which was a 38 Super. They are very well designed guns and light years ahead of anything Colt has ever done.
I would buy it now for that price!

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
Any opinions as to the quality of Star? This is the .45 model that seems to be a clone of the 1911. There is no grip safety. I'm tempted to pick it up for $300.00 but thought that I'd run it by for some opinions first.
Is that one of the newer "Firestars" by chance? The model 45 is their 45 ACP offering. Innovative pistols with "reversed" frame rails, the slide sits inside the frame instead of on top like the 1911 & P-35.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Hello. Yes, there was a Firestar made in .45 ACP. It was bigger than the 9mm/40 versions, but I believe the Model P was the older design for the .45 ACP. It was dimensionally similar to the true 1911 5", but of the same design as the Model B.

Best.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
There is a unique "hybrid" which was quite prolific here in the 50's and 60's made in Argentina known as the Ballister Molina.

It had a lower receiver that was nearly an exact copy of a Star model P (no grip safety, pivoting trigger) except that it took U.S. G.I. mags (like the Systema Colt Copy which is the more famous Argentine pistol).

If I am not mistaken it also took the Systema Barrel and bushing but I am not sure about the extractor and firing pin.

Jim

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
I think we are doing WAG'S here. (Wild A** Guesses). If the gun in question is made in Spain, it may be a Star. If it is not Spanish, then it may be from Argentina and could be one of several models that fired .45ACP ammo. If it is a Systema, then the parts do exchange with a Colt. These were built on Colt Machinery in S.A. in the '30's and up. If it has an EXTERNAL Extractor, it is probably a Star, if it doesn't, than it is another breed of cat.
The Ballister Molina is an entirely different breed of cat. It has no grip screw bushings, a pinned trigger like a Star, and the whole system is set up very much like a Star.
We simply do not have enough information here to even begin to know what we are talking about.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hello All
My first semi auto was a Star PD in 45 it was a compact mod.
with a alloy frame, never gave me any trouble but, I heard you
had a 50/50 chance of getting a good one or not. The felt recoil
was somewhat unpleasant but, I had to sell it when my wife wanted a small revolver to carry. ::)

Gil...

G

·
Discussion Starter #13
I had an Ultrastar 9mm. As much as I liked it, it wasnt the most ergonomic, and parts are hard to come by. I've shot a few of their B models, and a cousin of mine had a Firestar a few years back.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
The better half has a 9mm Firestar, which she really likes. It has proven a bit squirrely with some kinds of ammo, however, which precludes it being a carry gun. It is a well made, heavy and dense little semi-auto, which aids the recoil from such a short barrel.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts