Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Way back when, when I first graduated from college and spent a couple of years working in a gun store, I became aware of the

G

·
Hey, congratulations on the new blaster.

You might want to invest in some RIMZ ploymer moon clips. Thye make it easy to load and unload w/o using tools. I use the steel for s/d, but trhe RIMZ are great for the range. You can also shoot w/o the clips or AR cartridges.

Ranch Products, www.ranchproducts.com, is a great source for all things having to do with moon clips.

Max

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, gents!

Maxer, I've been buying from Ranch Products for years - had a 940. ;)

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi Erich,

Man! Thanks for sharing your new purchase with us and congradulations!

Also, the story behind the story of the 625 is really neat as well!

I remember when they came out with the 625 for and it was instant home run with all of the competition shooters! Everyone that shot plates or 'pins had one in there range bag! Back then, the closest thing that I could afford was a 629 with a 4"barrel. But the 625 was the rage and everyone was doing articles about them!

Now, fast forward 12 years or so, I never even knew they cataloged a 3" revolver and only saw perhaps one of them!

Erich, that is one neat wheelgun and looks very clean and proportionate with the round butt and 3" tube!

I'm jealous! You have a great wheelgun that appears to be capable of some exceptional accuracy.

Let me know who you order the holster from!

Chris

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
There is a lot to be said for a big hole! Apparently Magna-port also made some. A guy showed up here one day with 4 guns he had purchased at an auction and one of those was a 3", ported 25 with the hammer bobbed and the action really slicked up.

He asked me if I thought it was worth the $150 he paid for it. I offered him 3 times his money back and he said: "I guess I should have bought the other one of the pair, it went for $125."

Sheesh! :-/

Nice gun
Jim

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, gents, for the kind words. I'm very excited about it!

Chris, I'm considering Simply Rugged, El Paso Saddlery, and Ted Blocker for the pancake holster.

Jim, did I see you posting about .45 AR loads on another forum? Any advice for me? I use Unique, Blue Dot, and Bullseye, mostly.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Thanks, gents, for the kind words. I'm very excited about it!

Chris, I'm considering Simply Rugged, El Paso Saddlery, and Ted Blocker for the pancake holster.

Jim, did I see you posting about .45 AR loads on another forum? Any advice for me? I use Unique, Blue Dot, and Bullseye, mostly.
My only kick with Unique (the old stuff) is that it was dirty and that might cause reliablility problems in a revolver. Never the less it is hard to beat.

Blue Dot works fine but I have not loaded it much for some 15 years since they changed it to a "flake" powder...nothing wrong wtih it but my old data probably is not good.

My all time favorite powders for the Auto Rim are 2400 and SR4756. I load either the old Hornady 250 gr .45 Colt JHP bullet (they had lead exposed) or a Lee 260 gr flat point. Both go in the 1100 fps range from a 4" barrel.

Find a Speer #8 manual (Ebay might have one). The loads for the auto rim are hot so work up *very* carefully but I have used them. I would probably back off just a little in the interest of having my revolver last a bit longer. There is a load for the 200 gr Speer at 1400 fps. I can tell you it does indeed get 1400 fps and everything I ever shot with it was impressed - but one hardly needs that with a .45.

In fact I think most .45 ACP factory loads are more than adequate for general purposes.

Keep us posted!

Jim

·
Registered
392 Posts
back in '93 i had a S&W model 625 with a 2.5"? barrel....it was the .45acp "gun of 1989" as it had that scribed on the side of the barrel.

well the irs had me by the short hairs and i had to come up with tax money quick, being a trooper at the time i had little money to spare.........so i had to let some guns go.

the 625 left for $400.00. i sometimes wonder if i could have survived and just let the irs take my paycheck for 2 months so i could have kept that gun...........20/20 hind sight i guess.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I am so jealous.

If I wasn't already a snubbie fan, this would convert me, but I already was, so now I'm just jealous!

Great purchase Erich!

-Rob

G

·
Beautiful gun. I was looking for one recently, but all I could find was the Scandium version with a 2 3/4 inch barrel for about $1000!

G

·
Every time I see a revolver or pic of one set up like that I think about my favorite Clint Eastwood move "The Gauntlet".Nice pic and revolver.

Dtrain

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks!

Turns out that even my diminutive wife can handle it just fine - she shot it last weekend with powderpuff target loads, regular military loads, and some heck-for-stout AR loads that I put up. Did just fine, and actually had fun! :)

It's now officially the house gun.

G

·
Erich, my answer to your problem is my M325. It is lighter than your M625 but both perform the same function. Take the damn thing out and give us a range report. Thanks in advance and regards, Richard

1 - 20 of 20 Posts