Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought one of my holy grails today, a 3-inch S&W M624. Excellent condition $399. Guy wouldn't take less, and I don't blame him. This culminates a three-year search for a quality specimen at a fair price.

According to Supica, she came off the line about 1985 -- one of 5000 total for Lew Horton. Only way it could've been better was if it were a 24 with the deep blue-black bluing S&W put on these. But it'll be a working gun so SS is better anyway. This gun is for plinking, carry and car-gun duties.

I'll try to post a photo, if I can figure it out. She looks menacing, lemme tell you.

She cleaned up beautifully.

Now all I need is some Speer 240 grain GDHPs and I'm good to go.

And to think I was about to give up my quest and settle for a lowly .45 Colt!

Max

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Yo Max!

That is indeed a wonderful piece. I've had one since the mid-80's and love it. If I recall correctly I gave $300 for mine as-new/secondhand. Balances nicely in the hand.

They're really impressive when looking head-on into a cylinderfull of Silvertips. (Use a mirror :) )

The one downside is a lot of grips don't fit them. They were advertized as having a K frame grip, which they sorta do, but the upper end of the backstrap curves out more than a K.

Pachmayr grips mostly fit OK (with a little internal trimming) except for the Professional series that have an open backstrap.

Regards,

Pat

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Max, I'm quoting your post here, "And to think I was about to give up and settle for a lowly .45 Colt." Please explain your remark. P. S. , could your tongue have been firmly planted in your cheek? Thanx, JD45

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi max,

Congratulations!

I hope we get to see a pick of it soon!

I am always searching for a M-58 as my "holy grail" of revolvers, but would settle for a 4" M-657 should it come my way.

I had to buy a M-629 in the meantime to satisfy my "cravings".

Chris

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
That's disgusting. Reminds me of the guy who came to my house with a Magnaport 3" custom 625 he purchased for $150 and asked if he wasted his money.

When I drooled all over the gun, he allowed as how he should have purchased the second one as it went for $125!!!!!

In any case, I will happily give either of you guys a profit but I suspect you aren't selling ::)

Nifty guns!!!!

Congrats,
Jim H.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
In any case, I will happily give either of you guys a profit but I suspect you aren't selling ::)
Heh! I suspect mine will be one of the last to get sold off. Some sentimental attachment to it from a couple of tight spots it saw me through.

BTW, $300 wasn't that good a price at the time, but I _wanted_ it. :)

Don't shoot the .44's much anymore since I quit reloading.

I still see them at shows occasionally in the 400-450 range.

Regards,

Pat

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Pat,
That reminds me of the classic story of the guy on the witness stand after shooting a known felon who was attacking him. The prosecutor was trying to paint the citizen as a rabid gun nut.

Prosecutor: "You like guns, Mr. Smith"

Smith: "Well, I guess that is fair to say".

Prosecutor: "And the gun you shot Mr. Jones with...was that your favorite gun?"

Smith: "It wasn't....but it is now."

onward,
Jim

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh man, that's funny!

I shot a hundred thru it today. This sucker is loud. It's also pretty danged accurate. I can tell the diff between it and a four-inch accuracy-wise but not as much as I expected.

Re: the $400 to $450, I've had trouble here in Houston finding them for less than $500. Maybe it's just me but it seems like the wheel guns have pretty much dried up round here. And prices definitely seem to hve risen on items such as this.

This one has the originl Goncalvo Alves grips in good shape nd I like them. So no problem there.

And, yes, my tongue was in my cheek about the .45 Colt.

Max

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well maybe I oughta round up one of these little beauties & see how some of Uncle Elmer's "warm" .44spl loads do in it, Way To Go Max!!! JD45

·
Regulator,
3,441 Posts
Gents,
Thought you'd like to see my new "Holy Grail" I snagged tonight. A pristine M24 3". One of the Lew Horton specials they did in 83'84.
Wes

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!

I missed out on the 24, although I had most all the other 3" N frames Horton did.

Regards,

Pat

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know it doesn't hold a candle to the "Old Smiths", but I was happy to see they are now making a new model 3" in .44...

·
Registered
134 Posts
A real close friend has a 624 that he has been toying with selling on and off....he wants 300 when he's selling, and 500 when he's not.....
it a Horton gun, with the leather that came with it. no box, but the ### are Horton.

I thinks I'm about to do him out of it the next time he offers.....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts