Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am fond of the .41 magnum cartridge. At present, I have a Model 57 with an 8 3/8" barrel. It is a fine hunting gun, but not much for general woods loafing, with that long barrel. The nutrias are moving into our neighborhood in a big way, and they are damaging little critters, so I wanted something I could easily carry while out in the woods, whether just rambling around or hunting other game, for those nutriatic targets of opportunity.

Reviewing my gun "collection", I gave the .44 mag Super Blackhawk a good, hard look. It has the 7.5" barrel. I have never been totally satisfied with it, and it is not my only .44 magnum. I decided to see if I couldn't turn it into a .41 mag Blackhawk.

A buddy on another board had a .41 mag Blackhawk, with a 6.5" barrel, he was willing to sell. A local gun shop took my SBH on consignment, naming a price he is sure he can get for it which is just what I need to purchase the Blackhawk (I will have to pay shipping.)

So it is all falling into place. I am sure looking forward to my new woods gun.

But the madness does not stop there. Since I will have a new gun which will perform the hunting role which the Model 57 has filled, I'm thinking about seeing if I could trade it to someone for a 4" Model 58.

It never stops.

·
Registered
21 Posts
One of the best .41 field guns is the OM 4-5/8" Blackhawk that I have. Strong, as light as it can be with the aluminum frame, and easy to tote. Muzzle blast is considerable with the short barrel, but with mid-level loads, tolerable yet useful for woods loafing. If serious work is contemplated, a heavy load can quickly be dropped into the sixth (empty) chamber, ready to go.
I have also owned long-barreled Dan Wesson and Ruger Bisley .41's, but I find the short light Blackhawk 'will do'.

·
Regulator,
3,441 Posts
brerarnold and all,

That M57 8 3/8" sounds nice. I had one for years and (like a fool) got rid of it. It's been replaced by a M57 4"...much handier, IMHO.
The Ruger Blackhawk 4 5/8" is a great gun. Have had one for years.
Also, if you could find one, Ruger made a .41 Mag Redhawk at one time.
Some good choices out there. Good luck on finding a nice M58. They cost more than the M57's due to collectability. What am I saying...they are both collectable.
My choice would be the M57 4" and not look back.

Wes

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
I have a 58 and they generally go for over $600 in average condition. But they are out there. I shoot mine in IDPA competition with 41 SPL loads.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Now that's a fine looking side arm you have there LelandRay. Have you shot it much? It sure would do a job on them otters that Berarnold is having troubles with. Man thats nice. Good luck with it.

Best Baldy..

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Now that's a fine looking side arm you have there LelandRay. Have you shot it much? It sure would do a job on them otters that Berarnold is having troubles with. Man thats nice. Good luck with it.

Best Baldy..
Thanks, Baldy. The old gun was kind of rough looking when I got it, so I fixed a few little problems and had Walter refinish it for me. I've shot it a good bit with the Meister 215-grain SWC loaded over 8 grains of Unique. It's not a particularly hot load, but it's nothing to sneeze at, either.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy folks,

My personal all time favorite .41 magnum has to be the Smith model 57 4". I carried one first on patrol, then as a homcide/armed robbery/narcotics detective for several years. Sadly my last Chief came through the door, and declared my model 57 a lawsuit waiting to happen for excessive force. He had retired from NYPD, and personally I wished he had stayed there.

If I was looking for another model 57 and came across a 58, I would snatch it up in a heartbeat.

Mr. Leland,

That is one fine looking revolver sir. It is also a real testament to the fine work that Mr. Walter does as well. I can not see the first cylinder wear marks that most of us have simply come to accept as par for the course on any revolver. To me that clearly shows what an outstanding finish the Black T is.

I know that you and I have both sung its praises before. I readily accept I am prejudiced where the Black T and Mr. Walter both are concerned - they are both simply hard to beat, class acts.

Man this thread is really making me miss my 4" model 57.

twoguns

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I might think about having the Model 57 chopped to 4 inches. I hate to do it, though. You just don't see a lot of the long barrels on any gun, much less in a .41 magnum, and someone will want to give this piece a good home, just as it is.

Fortunately, there is no rush. I might end up keeping the 57, who knows. I would like to have a 4 inch S&W .41 for CCW. Did they ever make a Mountain Gun in this caliber, I wonder? Don't recall that they have, but I sure can't claim to having an encyclopedic knowledge of S&W products.

G

·
Yes, they do, or have, made the Mountain Guns in .41 Magnum. They also market, or have, short-barreled .41 Mags in their lightweight alloy revolvers. Go to www.smith-wesson.com and select .41 Magnum in the search mode and see what comes up.

There's also 4" Taurus .41 Mags of good quality and very reasnable prices, although their double-action mechanisms probabably won't be as smooth.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the suggestions, nevadaalan. I'm kinda stuck on old S&Ws, though. :) Probl'y keep my eyes open for one of those Mountain Guns. Or a Model 58.

G

·
Smith has been intermittently running off production runs of Mountain Guns in various calibers over the past several years. Availabilty, then, is intermittent and is "catch as catch can." Smith's website can give you an indication of the availability or future availabilty of .41 Magnum Mountain Guns. If the item is on their website then, 1. it's available at the retail and distributor level, or 2. they're planning on running off more of them sometime in the future.

If you want one of these, I would do this: Go to your favorite gun shop and ask them to run down one at their distributors. If they can't find one, go to a 2nd gun shop and have them do the same. If they can't locate one, go to a 3rd gun shop. If three gun shops can't locate one then they probably don't exist at the distributor level.

If the item is listed on Smith's website, then it will probably again become available. Have your favorite gun shop watch for the item in their distributor's catalogs and flyers. Jog them every few months to make sure that they're watching for your item. (I'm doing this with a Smith Model 22 in .45 ACP in their Classic Series.)

The alternative is to watch for 4" Model 57's on the used market. They aren't common, but they're "out there." One in very nice condition will probably run in the $500-650 range (or would here, where used guns are as expensive as anywhere in the country). You will probably have to be very patient.

Model 58's are rare guns, at least in my part of the country. Don't pass up a fair deal on a Model 57 if you find one first. Model 57's are far, far, far more common. You can always get a Model 58 later (if you ever find one.)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi all
I too belong to the 41 mag.'cult'.Years ago I had a 657 that I loved.When times got hard I foolishly let it go.Well a while back I was digging throgh my loading bench noticed how much 41 componets I had left.brass hard cast & jacketed bullets.Couldn't let it go to waste.
Just recieved today My new m57, 6" pinned barrell & orig.wooden box! i can't wait to get to the range!
Mike

·
Registered
399 Posts
Well that's good news. You must keep us in the loop on how it is doing after your range trip. Good luck and good shooting.

Best, Baldy..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Brerarnod
If You are into large frame short barrel 41'S&W once offered a 3"
round butt 657.It was a special run for Lew Horton if I remember correctly.Another one that I would like to find someday ;).
Mike

·
Registered
188 Posts
sir i to love the 41 mag i have a s&w 357 pd 41 mag i use it as carry gun at 26 ozs. i do not know i have it on . you got to love the 41 mag . tk

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, the Super Blackhawk finally sold. The money and the FFL have been sent to my friend with the .41 mag Blackhawk. His FFL is out on a prairie dog shoot and won't be back until after June 23rd, so I still have a bit of a wait. But it has not been a rush job at any point so far, so OK. I am looking forward to seeing how the rounds I worked up for the Model 57 perform in this gun, and perhaps working up some special rounds just for the Blackhawk.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy Mr. Brearnold,

Congradulations on your plans finally coming together sir. When you have had the chance to shoot your new lady, please share your thoughs with us too. Also if you will, add a post in the reloading room on the loads you work up and your impressions of them. Most of us .41 fans have our favorite loads, but it would be interesting to post your loads there as well. New fans of the .41 may well decide it is worth the initial investment to begin to reload for it and their other calibers too.

Please keep us posted when you can.

twoguns

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I'm back in the .41 club.
I guess I'm coming to this party a little late, but I just traded into a Marlin 1894FG .41 Magnum last week.

I had a 4" S&W 57 for a while, but traded it a couple of years ago.

Back to the Marlin- I wasn't looking for one, but I found one. It happens.
I'm one of those who believes that if you are going to have a rifle, then have it in a rifle chambering. But this one got me.

I had been thinking about a pistol caliber levergun for a "house gun" since:
1) I can lock the lever closed pretty easily (kids), yet still get to it, and...
2) While my wife doesn't like rifles or shotguns, she can at least operate this if she had to. Anyone who's ever seen a Western should be able to.

I was looking at either the Winchester 175 STHP or the CorBon 170 JHP for "defensive rifle" use. I have some of both from when I had the S&W 57. I know a lot of people seem to like the ST, but I've not seen much on the CorBon 170. Anyone tried it? Opinions?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts