Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In noway is this a taste great less filling post. I am seaking opinions from shooters who have experience with .40 and .45acp in the same platform same weight. I am a huge fan of the .40 not saying it is better or worse I just like it for it's gaming versatility, I also have pretty much settled on a Lightweight commander as an all around carry piece. I am tired of bucking the trend and .45 1911's are everywhere, what kinda recoil should I expect. The math tells me a .40 180 and a 45 180 should generate about the same. Beleive it or not I havent fired a .45 since desert storm but shoot 1911's constantly. To me it comes down to ammo .40 I have tons of .40 tons of small primers and free brass. Plus I wont have to change over the dillon, 45. cheaper easier to find pistol, magazines , parts , more likely to run when I get it. Pain to stock Large primers switch over Dillon and another caliber of components, no free source of brass. Perceived increase of recoil with factory hollowpoints. Guess my choices come down to scrounging for a Para 1540, or Kimber procarry, Building a .40 on a Para 1345, Caspian, or STI frame. Going singlestack in a Kimber Procarry .40. Or spending half the money on a used .45. As much as I like the new XSE 38 super lwt colt the lack of full power 38 super factory ammo has got it scratched off my list.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I have plenty of experience with 1911s (and Commanders) in .45 but I have only limited experience with them in .40.

What I do have some experience with is the Para Ordnance double stack - which is not a 1911 - in both .40 and 10mm (I have two of these, one standard 16-40 and one LDA 16-40).

First the single stack 1911s, The regular ammo in .40 (like Win USA, Reminton, or PMC all 165 gr. ball) seems to recoil just a tad less.

Comparing the Double stack guns I cannot tell much difference but perhaps the .40 is slightly less (the 10mm in Silver Tip or Norma FMJ recoils more than the .45 as does the discontinued Ranger 165gr partition in .40 S&W - that load thinks it is a 10mm).

I got to say that even though felt recoil seems less when comparing 1911s, when I put it to the clock and paper target I cannot shoot a 9mm 1911 faster or more accurate - they always end up with the same stats as the .45. Same goes for the .40

Perhaps felt recoil means something, but I cannot figure out what????

BTW, I have two CZ clones in .40 - they are as controllable as the CZ in 9mm - the Witness I had in .45 was also as, is the one I still have in Super .38.

I might point out that even if there is no real gain in performance that does not mean that just having a gun that is pleasant to shoot is not a good thing!

Jim H.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank's I think I have come up with a good solution, Being able to buy and running across a Alloy 15-40 dont seem to ever happen at the same time. Alloy 1345's are much easier to find and to resell, so I'll buy one see what happens then either change it to .40 or run it. I love the 16-40 and feel like it is the perfect all around handgun. I shoot it alot and it's why I am leaning towards keeping a similar frame for a primary defensive pistol. I built a singlestack .40 and ran it for about 6 months and watched my scores go down. I am still haunted by an IDPA VA state championship I lost by 2 seconds with a 9mm. The hole on a mandatory head shot hit paper but didnt break scoring line. Leads me to wonder about a 1445 ESP with .45 SWC's really big holes in paper.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Joe

I feel your pain. .45s do make bigger holes for sure (that's why I carry one) but if you were just 2 seconds out in an IDPA match (which probably is runing around 50 or 60 second totals for the winner right?) then you are not in that bad a spot.

I never paid much attention (though I have shot in 3 IDPA Nationals - I'm not much of a competitor) - is the LDA in SSP or ESP? I dont much care for my LDA but it sure shoots well enough to run against SSP guns.

Jim

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
actually it was around 250 seconds... 10 stages... My 1640 is single action, not sure where the LDA falls in there. This years state's I got 50 seconds in penalties, been shooting IPSC allmost two years, ah well. Looking forward to hitting a show in July and seeing what I can find.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
actually it was around 250 seconds... 10 stages... My 1640 is single action, not sure where the LDA falls in there. This years state's I got 50 seconds in penalties, been shooting IPSC allmost two years, ah well. Looking forward to hitting a show in July and seeing what I can find.
DUH - I dont know what I was thinking. Even better!

Jim

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Shot the M&P40 w 180/40 and the M&P45 w 230/45 at the same time. Seemed pretty close to me.

Wonder if Julie Goloski would shoot a M&P40/45 as well as her M&P9? Would Ernest Langdon shoot a M&P9 better than his M&P40? Or a M&P45?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts