Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am looking for a J-frame Smith or a revolver of similar size for my fiance.

She has small hands- I do mean small. She had trouble getting her finger on the trigger of a K-frame I asked her to try.

She's not a shooter by nature. She enjoys popping off a few rounds of .22 from my rifle now and again, but that's it.

There are multiple goals here:

1) When she gets it, I want her to enjoy practice with a comfortable handgun with a simple manual of arms.

2) I want a .38spl power floor.

3) I want the long muzzle because of ballistic reasons, but also for recoil control and good "hittability." I don't want to discourage her with a snub.

4) I appreciate the Smith's trigger pull. I tried a Rossi 3" that would have fit her, but the trigger was bad.

In other words, I want to find all the features of a Model 10 in a J-Frame. A M10 in a five shot package if you will.

I won't be buying this for a while. I may wait until we're married so I can transfer it to her without additional dollars (in Indiana, you must pay for a backround check when transferring pistols, though not long guns). Even then, it will be a house gun unless she decides to get her carry permit.

Does anything like this even exist?

Thanks all,

Josh <><

·
Registered
117 Posts
Have seen a few 36's with a 3" bull bbl, and I think the 60 was offered with a 3",can remember if I hae ever seen a 4" on a J frame

Have you looked at the Ruger SP101?

G

·
Josh, look at the 3" S&W M60-10. I wanted a 4" but a tech at S&W told me to try the M60-10 & he was right! Regards, Richard:D

G

·
Gents,

My wife is small. Just a hair over 5 feet tall. Her favorite revolver is a 3" barrel, full underlug, adjustable sight M60 in .38 Special. She loves hers because of the small size and pointability of the package.

The M60 is still offered in this configuration, but is now chambered in .357 Magnum, not .38 Special.

She uses 158 gr. LSWCHP +P as her carry load. It's a good one.

This is the revolver I'd carry if I wasn't firmly wedded to my Model 19 2 1/2" snub.

Wes

G

·
I bought my wife a Ladysmith 3" Model 36 a few years back, and she just loves it. The first ex kept the only 4" j-frame I ever had, but it was a .22. I don't remember ever seeing one in a 38.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I've also owned a 4" .22 (a model 34) J-frame.

I've asked a friend of mine who retired from the gun business in the mid-'90s after owning a couple of large and successful gun stores if there was any such animal as a 4" .38 J-frame (in some limited run or something), and he told me that there was not.

That said, I'm a big fan of the 3" J-frame .38s (partially because of the influence of this friend and other older, wiser friends of mine), and my petite (5'0") wife (non-shooter) is better able to use these than any other gun.

I have a 36-1 (a 3" Chief's Special) and a 60-15 (a 3" full-lugged .357 stainless with adjustable sights and the idiot lock), and they are both superb guns for my wife.

While I personally would love an SP-101 in .357 with a 5" tube, I seem to be the only one. I think many more of us would enjoy a 4" .38 J-frame, but the balance would be odd (seeing how the balance of the 3"-ers is just perfect).

Josh, I don't know when the next time I'll be "back home again in Indiana" will be, but I'd be happy to bring these two out for your fiancee to try out when I next come (maybe over the summer). But the 3" 60-15 is a current production model, so you should be able to find one for her to hold and try the trigger (shockingly good) at one of the bigger area stores.

Best of luck with it, and with your impending marriage as well. :)

G

·
If memory serves I think S&W did make some 4" .32s in either the I or the J frame years ago. The Jinks or Supica books would confirm this if true. They are not particularly common.

Concur on the M60 3" full lug guns. I have one of the .38 Spl. models from about 1992 and it is possibly one of the most useful and intriguing guns S&W ever made (as opposed to snubnosed N frames and dinosaur guns). It is a compromise; but one of the best compromises I have ever seen.

·
Registered
69 Posts
How about a 4 inch "D" frame instead?

Either steel or alloy frame; barrels from 2" through 6"; six shots rather than 5.

Goes by names of Police Positive Special, Detective Special, Agent, Cobra, Viper, Diamondback...

In 22; 32 NP ( S&W Long ); 38 NP ( S&W ); 38 Special, and you can always have the 32 rechambered to 32 H&R mag.

Just trying to be helpful, you understand.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Rusty's right: there's nothing wrong with a Police Positive (4" D-frame). I feel that the J-frames are a bit stronger, but that probably won't be an issue with the gun for your fiancee. My Police Positive was a wonderful gun, and I understand that our esteemed Mr. Camp trusts one to protect his dear mother.

But guys! Look at my post up-page (yearning for a 5" SP-101) and CHECK THIS OUT: http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=298490

I'm so psyched I can barely type!

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I had a 4" in .38 S&W (not Spl.). With the light barrel it was not as controllable as the 3" heavy barrel 36 with equal loads (they make both weights so be careful).

That little full lug adjustable sighted 60 (there were actually some 36s too but very few) is really nifty and we picked up one for a friends wife. Unfortunately those adj. sights shred clothing unless the holster protects them and they tend to snag of stuff.

Good suggestions on the D frame Colt also! And don't overlook a Colt Diamondback in either 2.5" or 4" they are not all that heavy but they are really nice to shoot.

Jim

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Hello Josh,

I stopped buying S&W revolvers when they started with the lock, the hammers appear to be MIM and have a very large area machined out of the L.H. side to accomodate the lock... NO Thanks, I do NOT trust them anymore, Pre-Lock S&W guns is a differnt story thow.

Take a look at the Ruger SP101 Model# KSP-331X, it's a 3-1/6" inch 5 shot .357 thats built like a tank, and the weight is only 27 oz's, that only a couple of oz's more than a all steel pre-lock S&W J Frame.

Hope this helps,
THE SOCKMAN

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
That's another idea. FWIW, my wife (the one who's 5'0" - not that there's another :) ) was unable to pull the DA pull (hard for me to believe, but true) on the SP-101 I bought for her, so she would not use it.

She loves the Colt and S&W DA pulls.

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hello all,

I thank you for your input. I will begin looking around. I prefer used pistols to knew so the Smith is still a consideration.

My fiance stands 5' also. However, she was a gymnanist in high school who brought home a ribbon every meet (she won't teach me though, dangit!). Her hand strength is proportional to what you would expect in gymnastics.

I reckon I'll start cruising the gunstores. Good excuse as any I guess

Something that's been occuring to me- do you believe that perhaps a carbine, perhaps a Hi-Point or such, would be a preferable house gun for someone who doesn't shoot much? I could save getting a revolver for if/when she decides to carry.

Pros and cons of revolver vs. carbine?

If it comes out carbine for now, I will post something in the rifle thread.

Opinions?

Thanks again all,

Josh <><

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I think you're better off with a 20-ga shotgun if you're going to a long gun for a lady.

However, I still think a revolver is probably more useful all around. She can use it more easily without concern for maneuvering it (a real concern with someone not trained at long gun handling in confined spaces), it will not likely be as intimidating for her, and it's more easily concealed around the house.

I own short-ish (legal!) shotguns and carbines, and my wife (non-shooter, she) is really not willing to handle them. It's a PITA to get them out from storage, and their size somehow makes them intimidating to her. Plus, they're heavier and more awkward. A J- or D-frame, OTOH, she's comfortable with and not scared by.

I'm actually very pleased that my wife is taken with my various J-frames and my Colt Agent. I feel a whole lot better knowing that she knows where they are, knows how to use them, and is not afraid of them.

G

·
Gents,

Josh, I know your looking for a 4" J-frame. I can't find mention of one anywhere. Interestingly enough S & W's web-site shows a stainless 5" J-frame. Small frame looks funny with the longer barrel.
You could have one shortened, but that gets spendy and these little guys are already at a premium.

Wes

G

·
Josh, this is: " the Door Stop. Why the Door stop? Its finish looks like one of the fake irons you use to keep the door open. It shoots like a dream with 148gr wad cutters. Regards, Richard

1 - 20 of 22 Posts