Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I've read this someplace here, but my searches have not turned up anything.

I have a .380 Carpati, a Romanian replica of the Walther PPK (early version).

Last night I went to Walmart for practice ammo since I had a gift card. I had enough for a box of 50 rounds, but not enough for 100 rounds. I will not spend my own money at Walmart, so I got the 50 round box.

The 50 round box has 95 grain bullets. The 100 round box had 88 grain bullets, which is what I carry.

I decided that the difference between the two weights wouldn't make much difference at the ranges in which I intend to practice.

However, I seem to remember reading someplace, here I thought, that it's a bad thing to use too much ammo over a certain weight in a Walther PPK or its clones, and likewise +P ammo.

Sooo.... anyone know what I'm talking about, or am I hallucinating the whole thing?

Thanks,

Josh <><

·
Registered
363 Posts
Sitting in my gunsafe is a US made stainless steel PPK .380 that I purchased new in Jan 1987. When new, the PPK was so tight that it wouldn't feed any kind of JHP rounds. It took 300 rounfs of FMJ to wear it in before it would reliably find the old Speer.CCI 88 gr JHP load.

Since then I have shot just about every US made make of JHP ammo ranging from the Winchester 85 gr SilverTip to the Remington 102 gr Golden Saber. I have chronograph data on these loads if you are interested in seeing them. All of these loads have functioned just fine in my PPK. My load of choice when I carry the PPK is the 102 grain GS.

I've never heard the story about bullet weights in a PPK or a clone of it. Sounds like internet BS to me.

Roadster

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Me, too. I managed a gun store for two years in the late '80s and we sold a pile of Walthers. Never heard of bullet weight limitations on them in standard .380 ammo.

You should know that there is no such thing as .380 +P ammo - at least not authorized by SAAMI. I wouldn't run such a thing through any gun I owned, least of all a blowback.

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You should know that there is no such thing as .380 +P ammo - at least not authorized by SAAMI. I wouldn't run such a thing through any gun I owned, least of all a blowback.
Erich, thanks. I do indeed know this, but I do still use the term as, for example, the Cor

G

·
My recollection comes from the 9mm Makarov round. One Russian manufacturer (Bear?) loads it in 109-grain truncated cone configuration, but the normal bullet weight is similar to .380, about 95 grains for the ball ammo. Some of the aluminum-framed eastern European pistols, like the PA-63, a PPK clone from Hungary, are battered to death pretty quickly with the heavier bullets and there are warnings about that over at Makarov.com

As far as I know, the 95-grain ball and 88-grain JHP loadings in .380 should not batter your pistol...I think these are standard loadings and the Remington 102-grain is the oddball. You should be fine...

Bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts