·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
So, 110 grainers are out.

After reading this thread, I still find the top loads are:

Speer Gold Dot 135-grain +P JHP Short Barrel
Fed/Rem/Win 158-grain + LSWCHP

Any thoughts on the Corbon 125-grain +P JHPs? Corbon says it pushed the traditional style jacketed hollow point at 1125fps from a 2.5" barrel(!). Out of a 3" 1150 should be possible, that's very near .357 magnum with a 125-grain bullet. And the better question, how is Corbon getting these velocity numbers? And the even better question, when is Corbon going to load this round with the DPX bullet in .38 Special?

-Rob

·
Registered
720 Posts
Comparing copper (.315lb/cu.in.) to lead (.410lb/cu.in.) shows that a larger volume bullet (longer) would be needed going from 110grains (.0157lb) to, say 135grains (.0192lb). Lead volume would be .047cu.in. for 135gr, but copper would be .061cu.in for the same 135gr. This means the bullet would have to be longer and probably be a problem fitting into the cartridge case.
The 110grain DPX bullet is already .049cu.in. and slightly larger than the 135grain lead.

Take a look at the massive 200grain .44caliber bullet pictures in Stephen's .44special DPX report and you can see how long they are.

Just some thoughts maybe why DPX rounds are limited in grain size.
FWIW,
og

p.s. my numbers are approximate just for a quick comparison. Actual values for exact copper or lead may differ.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well again guns vary but I got an average velocity of 966.5fps from a Smith 640 with a 2 1/8 barrel. Nowhere near the 1125 you are quoting. Same gun same day averaged 1200fps with the corBon 110 non dpx. Now 966.5 from a snubby is still moving and faster than most other makes from a 4 inch. It's just not 1125fps.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
OG, great break down on why we don't have heavier grain DPX bullets. I hadn't thought about it that way.

xcop, great info, bro! I figured that number was high and I was quoting Corbon's figures.

Anyone else tried the 125 grain +P from Corbon? I noticed some at the gunshop today, but alas, I have no .38 to fire them from...yet. ;)

-Rob

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.