Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm surprised this hasn't come up yet. Maybe it's old news.

I've yet to own a gun chambered in this round, but I'm intrigued. Have been for some time. And it's not just the velocity hound in me (though I do like a flat-shooting handgun cartridge). From what I've read, it's just plain effective. Like an almost-but-not-quite .357 magnum in a semi cartridge.

Mostly, I've read ballistics info and gel tests. What I lack is real-life insight. As I've noticed there are a number of L.E. professionals and those previously affiliated with L.E. on board, maybe some information can be gathered here.

As a civilian, I have no real experience with high-stress life-and-death situations, nor will I probably ever gain it (God willing). I can only train, gather what information I can, and hope that my preparation would not fail me should it be called into duty. That is to say, maybe I'm sneekily trying to take a peek into The Elephant. You (you know who you are) have been there and I stand in awe. But mostly, I want to know what you think, specifically about the 357SIG.

I know that a number of agencies use the SIG round and appreciate its magnum-like performance. But what about civilian personal defense? What are the issues? Is over-penetration really a concern? Is it too light and fast to effeciently transfer its energy into a target? Is it just an over-stated 9mm?

Inquiring minds want to know. I am not asking for a grizzly account of shootings, but rather insight into the round's capabilities. The interchangability with a .40S&W barrel is a plus to me (I like versatility), and the prospect of a short-barrelled carbine chambered for the fast-moving bullet seems to have very real applications to intermediate-range gunmanship.

-S

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So we're back to the old "hype" story.

357SIG (gotta hand it to the marketeers, sounds a lot better than "355SIG"), for all its velocity, is just another round. Better'n some, not as good as others, all things depending.

I'd heard that about the laminated windshields, Stephen. Main benefit was defeating baricades. It's easy to get carried away with the baricade argument for one round, one method or another. It may be fair to say that, as a civilian, if there is laminated windshield glass betwixt me and Mr. Badman, I'm probably in a pretty handy position to flee the scene. Let those good fellas in the blue uniforms take the heat. Sounds bad, but that why they get paid the big bucks. ;)

I still say the prospect of, say a Beretta Storm, chambered for tree-piddy-seb'm Sig would be awesome. Not necessarily to reach out and touch someone, but for local calls.

-S

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.