Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Bear in mind that I'm speaking from the security of my armchair, having experience only with 9mm and .45ACP in autos, and a variety of calibers in revolvers. On paper, it seems that both calibers (.40 S&W and .357 Sig) are perfectly adequate, and I believe the real-world statistics will bear that out. Having said that, I cannot see any reason for a department which has adopted the .40 S&W (which is THE caliber success story of the last two decades), to switch to .357 Sig. It's a bit like the .41 Magnum story: a fine cartridge in its own right, yet it couldn't justify itself sufficiently to be commercially successful. It only hangs on because of a few individual users. The Sig is probably going to end up in the same position, with most departments staying with 9's and 40's. Again, this says nothing about the value of the cartridge, it's just the way I think the market will shake out. If the Sig had come along before the .40, the positions would probably be reversed.
Fortunately, we (the members in America, at least) as individuals can shoot any of them, at least until "they" cancel the 2nd Ammendment.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.