Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering getting a 2-3" barreled .357 magnum revolver for woods carry. I want something small and light but "good enough" for up to black bear, with the primary emphasis being self defense.

My concern is with the ballistics of the magnum round out of a 2 or 3" barrel. With today's modern loading of 9mm heading in the 1300-1400 fps range, am I losing so much velocity with the short-barreled .357 to the point where I'm just as good with the 9mm?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much for you help.

I'm looking for a "companion" for my 1894C Marlin lever-action in .38/.357. So I'm kind of "stuck" on the .357 magnum.

I camp some in Vermont. I have no idea the size of the bears, but I was looking to cover all my bases if possible.

I was specifically looking at a Ruger SP101 with the spur on the hammer in a 2 or 3" barrel (I can't remember). But I was concerned that it wouldn't be much better than one of my 9mms with the short barrel.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is what I love about this forum more than all others -- you guys have some trully informative posts. Not just regurjitation of the latest fad or what everyone else is posting on the internet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts