Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.32-20 /.32 S&W Long Questions

I have a S&W 1905, 2nd change M & P .32-20 revolver. It is in excellent shape and I enjoy shooting it on occasion. I know that snap caps for this old caliber are not to be found. Therefore, I am wondering if A-Zoom .32 S&W Long snap caps might work should they fit in the chamber short of the .32-20's bottleneck. If so, could the .32 S&W Long serve as a sub-load in the .32-20? My instinct tells me "No." What am I missing here? Thanks. --c

·
Registered
2,617 Posts

Heya Corky,

The .32-20 is slightly bottlenecked, therefore the back end is slightly bigger than the .32S&W Long.

Enough to cause problems with case splits? Probably not. The S&W is shorter, so accuracy will likely suck and cleaning will be a bear. Long term use might roughen the chambers some.

Snap caps should work fine. Good idea using them. They should be centered enough to keep the hits on the little plunger.

Regards,

Pat

·
Registered
363 Posts

I got out my Colt Army Special 32-20 and dropped a dummy .32 S&W Long round into one of the chambers. The rim of the .32 Long went completely inside the .32-20 chamber. Given this, I strongly suggest that you do not try it.

Roadster

·
Registered
2,617 Posts

WOW! On mine it just sorta rattled a bit. Rim held fine. If yours is that loose I wouldn't try it.

My chambers aren't factory though; some dumbass had tried to rechamber the K32 to 32-20 using a drill bit from the looks of them. Never tried to shoot it with that cyl. Apparently it went back to the factory for a new .32 Mag cylinder.

Regards,

Pat

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thanks to you both for your responses. When I tried a .32 S&W Long snap cap in my revolver, it fit w/ only slight movement; however, I haven't dropped the hammer on it. I'm still mulling this over.

I once read that one can create snap caps using deprimed cases, but I don't recall what the primer pockets were then filled with. Any help w/ this? --c

·
Registered
2,617 Posts

I've heard of people using a piece of lead in place of the primer, but that might only last a few snaps. Good enough for protecting against an accidental hammer drop, but not constant play.

Some sort of fairly stiff elastomer (that you can barely sent with the fingernail) would last a lot longer.

If we're talking a lot of dryfiring, expect some breakage.

Regards,

Pat

G

·

I believe I've read about filling the empty primer pocket with silicone "tub and tile" sealant. GE (General Electric) makes several varieties of this stuff that's marketed in hardware and home supply stores, but I think it's all the same except for color. I don't think this stuff is stiff or durable enough for the purpose of making snap caps to cushion firing pins.

·
Registered
14 Posts

Work a pencil eraser into the empty primer pocket. You may have to either drill the primer pocket out or reduce the diameter of the eraser. A pen eraser wight even be better.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts