Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happened on a Sig P226 two-tone in .357 Sig at a local gun shop this morning, factory refurbished with warranty. Asking price $600. With sales tax and a second magazine, about $700, which seems like something I really ought to jump on. (A .40 Smith barrel would cost me another $150, give or take, but that's down the road.) Should I talk myself out of this?

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi there,

degatesjr. I recently bought a SIG P-226 factory Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) in .357 SIG and couldn't be happier.

SIGARMs began their CPO program about a year and a half ago and takes the "police trade-in" firearms and completely refurbishes them. The refurbishing includes replacing any and all parts that are worn and providing cosmetic attention to the slide and frame where necessary.

I bought one and I cannot tell the difference visually between it and a NIB SIG. SIGARMs warranties these pistols for one year and it is a real value for those wanting to get into a "top quality" handgun.

On the plus side, after shooting many, many different caliber handguns over the years, I've really become quite taken with the .357 SIG and have started to reload the cartridge.

I sincerely have started to believe that the SIGARMs P-226 and .357 SIG cartridge has become the "quinessential" handgun for me and I'll be very satisfied with mine for years to come.

Sometime soon, I will get the spare barrel for mine as well, but right now I am very satisfied with the performance of the .357 SIG cartridge for velocity, felt recoil and terminal performance.

Best,

Chris

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy Degatesjr,

I too, like Mr. Chris, am a major fan both of the P226 and the 357 Sig round. I currently own what is my 5th P226. Mine is a 226R in stainless on the steel frame, which are the two options that finally turned a near perfect pistol into the perfect duty pistol for me.

I bought mine in 357 Sig and added the Sig 40S&W barrel as well. A nice point on the P226 is that this mag is marked as 357Sig/40 S&W, and is designed to use the same mag for either caliber. Hopefully the 12 round mags are included with the pistol, although there could possibly be two 10 round mags as well. Those are the two possible mag capacities with this model and caliber.

I have recently pruchased an EFK 9mm down/conversion barrel (designed to fit in the 357/40 slide barrel opening) for my P226R. I simply replace the barrel and am firing 9mm rounds without any functioning issues as well. So with my P226 I am able to shoot all three calibers simply by changing the barrel. If I were going to shoot massive amounts of 9mm ammo I would probably change to a different recoil spring, but that is not a major issue at all to me either.

Another nice thing I have found about the P226 pistol recently is that it is very magazine friendly. I have a ton of factory mags for both my P226 and P229, as my agency requires that personal weapons carried for duty use must use the factory marked magazines only. Mec-Gar makes the Sig mags for Sig, but also sells their own M-G marked versions as well.

Several companies offer the M-G marked P226 mags, often in either blue or nickle finish. These companies also offer the M-G marked mags at a much better price than they sell the Sig factory mags for too. I normally purchase my M-G Sig magazines from either: Brownells, Arizona Gun Runners, Midway, or Cheaper Than Dirt. Other members may be able to suggest other companies as mag sources too. But these are the only vendors I have personal experience with. I can suggest all four, as I have been very satisfied with both their shipments and customer service as well.

I have recently discovered that the M-G P226 9mm 17rd mag, functions perfectly in all 3 calibers. It also gives me one extra round magazine capacity with 13 rounds of either 40 or 357 Sig over the 12 round factory marked mag, and 2 additional rounds over the 15 rd 9mm mag. I also know from personal experience that the M-G or Sig marked M-G 20 rd P226 9mm mag will hold 17 rounds of 40 or 357 Sig.

Also I just want to point out to you sir, that I have never purchased a Sig or seen one purchased that did not come with 2 magazines included in the box. If you mean you want to purchase a 3rd magazine, I understand perfectly, since that will allow you to have 2 for a double mag pouch. But if only 1 magazine is included in the Sig box, personally I would be discussing that point with the dealer, as the factory should have shipped two mags with the pistol.

I don't know how the trigger reach is for you on the P226, which probably has the standard trigger installed in it. That is normally how that model comes from the factory. If the reach is just a bit long for you, Sig also sells the "short/curved" trigger that will fit the P226 and several other models (many of which ship with the short/curved trigger installed in them by the factory), which will improve the trigger reach.

I don't have long fingers, and find the standard trigger on the P226 to be a bit long for me. With the short/curved trigger installed, the trigger reach is perfect for me.

There is a lot to be offered by a Sig in my opinion, expecially the P226 model. I also think enough of the 357 Sig caliber that is my chosen carry caliber now, as that barrel lives in my 226R. Just my thoughts on this model and make, but hope they might be of help to you.

If you have any questions, please feel free to pm me sir.

If you do get this pistol, or another CPO Sig, please share your thoughts with us when you have been able to fire it.

twoguns

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi there dgatesjr.

I forgot to answer the last question you prefaced in your original post and apologize for not doing so:

Should I talk myself out of this?
If I had the resources and were looking for another handgun, than I'd be figuring out a way to make the purchase. In my opinion, there's too much to like about the caliber and platform.

Best,

Chris

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, gents---
I went back at noon today, as soon as the store opened, and they were happy to let me fiddle with the Sig, field strip it, and so forth. Slide-to-frame fit is tight as a tick, the bore is clean as a whistle, all-in-all, the gun looks and feels mechanically sound---or better than just "sound," more like NIB. (The magazines appear lightly used.) And yes, it comes with the whole kit, hard case, two mags, user manual, cable lock, etc., not to mention the factory one-year warranty. If I'd had the 600 bucks burning a hole in my pocket, I'd have the gun in front of me right now, but maybe that's a good thing. If it slips through my fingers, so be it, but if it's still there by the end of the week, it'll be a done deal.
Thanks again for your advice, David

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Mr. David,

I do understand how you feel. Sometimes the timing just does not work out correctly, but I hope it will for you. I really was not aware of the CPO program until Mr. Chris explained it to me. Since your gun store has one, that suggests he is a dealer that Sig will send them to whenever he requests one. So if things don't work out on this one, you can always ask him to order one specifically for you when you are ready for it.

But again, good luck and I do hope it works out. If you are able to get this one, or another one down the road, please give us a range report when you have had the chance to shoot it. I always smile when I meet another member who has been afflicted by "Sigitis" as I fondly call it. The only down side to owning one Sig and Sigitis is to me it is as addictive as HPitis too. So own one, and the odds figure one day you will own a second one too, lol.

Good luck,

twoguns

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi there degatesjr,

Please let us know what you decide to do. Either way, its a real find and a handgun that you will be happy with for many years to come.

Best,

Chris

·
Registered
257 Posts
I just bought a NIB P229 Two tone in .357 Sig for $594, and ordered the 40 S&W barrel for a hundred forty or so. 600 bucks for a used one seems kind of high to me.

G

·
I have 6 certified (used) Sigs, all look unfired. Paid $525 apiece except for a 226 with both 357sig and 40s&w barrels and I believe it was $545, all from my local gun dealer.

G

·
I used to have a P220 in 9mm, and a cop-trade in P226 9mm. I liked them both, but neither were suited for me to CCW, and both have since been sold to fund other firearms. If TX allowed open carry, I would consider another P226 without hesitation.

G

·
Texas doesnt allow open carry ? what has the world come too.
Good guns but I think some digging might save you $100.... Just bought one for my wife... 226 9mm with 2 10 round mags and a NIB mecgar 17 mag for 525.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts