Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend gave me about 450 used .223 brass. He said that some may be "Lake City Federal Arsenal" and may be crimped primers cause it's machine gun ammo. Removing the crimp would be easy.
I'm looking at the brass and any with the smallest dent or ding I am putting aside. some just have a small dent in the neck and my question is "How much of a dent in the neck can straighten out by a resizing die"?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK out of the 450 .223 brass I have 301 with no dents or dings, I'm happy. Would be happier if the dies would get here. Then I still have to drive 40 miles to the Bass Pro Shop to get powder. Don't know what they have in stock or what brands.

·
Registered
502 Posts
OK out of the 450 .223 brass I have 301 with no dents or dings, I'm happy. Would be happier if the dies would get here. Then I still have to drive 40 miles to the Bass Pro Shop to get powder. Don't know what they have in stock or what brands.
Could you go to Bass pro shop and see about the powder, while waiting for your dies? Maybe they will have the powder you are looking for. Just a thought. :tup:
Scott

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
Dents in brass are generally not a big deal and unless they are large and actually put a bend in metal as opposed to just a depression usually won't matter... they are mostly greatly reduced during sizing etc. and nearly 100% of the neck dents will be removed in the prep process.

With the exception of big deep dents with bent edges, I just load the dented cases normally... no problems so far... which it to say over 55 years.

FWIW

Chuck

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Could you go to Bass pro shop and see about the powder, while waiting for your dies? Maybe they will have the powder you are looking for. Just a thought. :tup:
Scott
40 miles on I-4 here in Fl. is not worth the stress caused by the idiots that won't put down their cell phones. I have an appointment at the VA in Orlando next week I'll go then.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Dents in brass are generally not a big deal and unless they are large and actually put a bend in metal as opposed to just a depression usually won't matter... they are mostly greatly reduced during sizing etc. and nearly 100% of the neck dents will be removed in the prep process.

With the exception of big deep dents with bent edges, I just load the dented cases normally... no problems so far... which it to say over 55 years.

FWIW

Chuck
Thanks, I guess I'll go through the ones I set aside and get some more useable brass. i was able to get another 76 rounds to load by straightening out the necks with a ale.

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
Seating the bullet has (for me at least) removed any dents in the case mouth. Other dents will pop out or be greatly reduced in size during sizing. The remaining small dents usually iron out when you fire the round the next time.

FWIW

CHuck

Thanks, I guess I'll go through the ones I set aside and get some more useable brass. i was able to get another 76 rounds to load by straightening out the necks with a ale.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You should not have to do that before getting your dies. I have a Lee Full length case resizer/decapper die which will instantly fix any neck issues or dents and resize the entire case and decap it at the same time.

Also I feel your pain on powder in FL, fortunately I am in Altamonte and the gander Mtn in lake mary carries powder and primers, not too far for me :)

·
Registered
418 Posts
Lake City Federal Arsenal. Be sure the crimp meaned is the neck crimp and not the primers crimp. It might be NATO ammo. You might have to remove the primers crimp to be able to place nicely a new primer.
Also be aware that if your rifle is .223, the brass is 5.56. This should not be a huge issue but sometimes in a .223 semiauto rifle you might have feeding failures after having reloaded. NATO shells might be harder than other .223 ones and might take more than one reload to finnally fit your chamber.
For me NATO brass was an excelent oportunity to learn some stuff about 223 vs 5.56 and nice reloading experience.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Greetings from Kentuckyglockstore,
WE are here by announcing to you that we have Primers and other ammunitions and glocks in stock,
checkout the Federal small pistol primers ;
and other Primers in stock

And many other glock and ammunition checkout Home - KENTUCKY GLOCK STORE

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Due to the primer crimp issue, all my 5.56 brass goes into the scrap brass bin. So much out there that it's not worth the effort to rework. Whatever I make on the brass far off-sets the added cost of new ammo.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts