Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just back from target shooting, I had reloaded 45 auto w/230Gr XTP's, O.A.L. of 1.25. at this length they worked fine in my S&W 4516 but would not load beyond one round in my friends SIG P220. What did I do wrong? or is the SIG just finicky that way. I used PMC 230Gr Rn for my benchmark for OAL. The PMC worked just fine. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Hello. I have never been able to get CSWC handloads to function reliabily with more than five rounds in the magazine in my P220. They loaded easily enough into the magazine. I do seem to recall some folks complaining about some newer P220 magazines seeming to be of tighter dimensions such that certain loads didn't work for them, but I have not personally seen it.

Best.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure the age of this 220 my friend buoght it used about 3 moths ago. It's a shame that we could not load the magazine because it's a wonderful weapon, with the longer barrel it's much easier to shoot than my Smith. Oh well I have shortened the OAL to 1.21 for the XTP's. I was not in love with using those bullets but thats all that the bullet store had.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
pbr6984

Howdy sir, and welcome to the forum. While I have enjoyed owning several Sigs in the past and still do have a couple, I have never owned a 220. So I have no first hand experience with how any of my reloads have functioned in one.

All I could do is drop back to a couple of reloading manuals. Yours may differ, but this is what I found.

Accurate Arms (no.2 rev)
OAL 230 RN as 1.230"

Hornady (5th ed)
COL 230 HP-XTP as 1.230"
COL 230 FMJ-RN as 1.230".
COL 230 FJM-FP as 1.200".

Again since I have never loaded for a 220, the best I could do was give you some comparative info from a couple of manuals. But all of these were shorter than the 1.25" PMC you had used - which you noted worked fine. Sorry I could not offer you any first hand 220 reloading experiences.

Hope it might help.

twoguns

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your help, after all of our brain storming it never dawned on me to get one his extra mags so I could set OAL. It is more than likely that I will be sticking to RN bullets. The JHP's are kinda pricey to scare paper. Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts