Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DOES ANYONE KNOW THE MANUFACTURE DATES (ROUGHLY ON M27-3 MODELS. (THANKS)
OPINION- WOULSD YOU TRADE EVEN A 340pd NEVER FIRED FOR AN OLDER ((LOOKS NEW) NOT SURE 44 MAG SMITH 4 INCH BARREL. VALUE WISE BOTH ARE ABOUT THE SAME, i KNOW IT'S APPLES AND ORANGES BUT THE 340 IS GREAT (THE BEST) CONCEALED CARRY AND THE 44 JUST HAS THE STEEL FEEL.
jUST SOME OPINIONS AND THOUGHTS IF POSSIBLE.

·
Registered
645 Posts
florida1098,

Production for the S&W model 27-3 was 1982 - 1988. Discontinued the "Nickel finish" in 1986.

Don't know much about the 340PD other that what I have read, what model .44 are we talking about?

papabear

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi, first thank-you for the reply, it helps, my m27 is blue but gives me an approximate date. I bought a new 340PD (never fired it) although w/ 20 plus yrs in NYPD real familiar with J frames. I recently started (trying) to carry a Glock # 27 for increased rounds and reload speed.
A gun store here in FL had a beautiful, never fired pre-lock smith 44 mag 4 inch either stainless or (sorry, for lack of better terminology, "shiny" ) that would have been or will be a very even trade. I don't really need it, just at this moment not really happy w/ only 5 rounds and a short barrel on the 340PD and the Glock is taking over that duty. I also can trade it for a new Glock full frame 10mm, I know that is a great round, but the feel of the older Smith's is compelling.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Florida1098,

This is just my opinion, but a NIB 340PD in my area is going for $500 - $550 and a LNIB 29 4-6" is going for $650-$700, I personally would trade the 340PD in a heart beat for a LNIB or Ex condition 29 4", just my $0.02 worth.

papabear

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy Mr. Florida1098,

Plus 1 on Mr. Papabear's opinion sir. Especially if the m29 is a pre-lock, in many circles, that fact alone raises it's perceived value quite a bit.

I am not a fan of Glock pistols, for reasons that do not need to be discussed here. I just have no desired to ever own a Glock of any type, after being required to carry one as my primary handgun for several years. If it were me, I would grab that m29 and never look back.

twoguns

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks to all replies, giving the trade a little time to think over, don't really need another house gun, and the 340PD is a great carry. Just the 44 has that great feeling. I did contact S-W and my M27 was shipped in 1989.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts