ZIP: 06051 - 2435

CHECK-MATE INDUSTRIES INC
CAGE Code:1M291
Status Code: ACTIVE
777 MOUNT AVE
WYANDANCH, NY 11798-0000

http://www.mec-gar.it/

http://www.act-mag.com/

Vendors for most of the "name brand" magazines listed already.

· Premium Member
190 Posts
I invested in Chip McCormick mags when my Randalls wore out and converted the initial ones to 8-rounders when they came out. I've added a few since then as well, all 8-rounders. I've had zero mag-related malfunctions since I made the change but I don't do the heavy duty competition with that gun either.
One tip: buy the hot pink (or maybe green) mag bumpers and you'll never lose one during department quals or a match.

· Registered
79 Posts
After 150 rounds of Tula economy ball ammo my new 7rd. Check-Mates are working well in my new-to-me / slightly used Kimber Custom II in 7 and 7+1 modes. I need to try some JHP to see how they feed. If all goes well, then I'll buy more Check-Mate 7rd. mags.

Incidentally, the one Kimber-marked used mag I got with the pistol seems also to be a Check-Mate.

· Registered
949 Posts
Some time ago i purchased several Mec-Gar 1911 magazines at a price of $19.99 each. These are the standard seven round GI type. So far they've performed perfectly.

· Registered
112 Posts
A friend asked me to istall bumper pads on his stainless Checkmate mags - holes already punched.

From previous experience with the self tapping screws that come with the pads - I broke one and spent about 40 minutes or so removing the screw, I just tap the holes - go very slow and use lots of lube.

· Registered
467 Posts
I've used the Chip McCormick, 10 round Shooting Stars for many years w/o a problem. One full mag in the weapon + 1 round in the chamber, and 2 loaded mags on the belt gives you 31 rounds of .45ACP. If that don't get it done, it's time to call in close air support or a Dustoff chopper............

· Premium Member
190 Posts
I wonder how many "bad mags" simply contain bad springs or followers. A 1911 mag is much like the weapon it's made for. If it begins to malfunction, clean it. If it still malfunctions, replace the spring. If it (the mag) still malfunctions, salvage the new spring and trash the mag. Springs are cheap, I replace them every 8-10 years. Life's too short to spend struggling with crappy mags, it can get a lot shorter if you insist on carrying them.

· Premium Member
735 Posts
I totally agree with this...I read many people who dump their OE mags matter of fact when they haven't even tried them as cheap mags...

When I bought my SiGARMS GSR Revolution STX...SiG had supposedly just made the change from the problematic ACT/Novak mags (brittle feed lips) to Checkmates...I found my 8 round Checkmates to have weak springs...a change to Virgil Tripp's CobraMag conversion followers and springs (making my weak 8 rounders into reliable 7 rounders) and they have been reliable since 2006...

Bill

· Premium Member
190 Posts
Funny how that works, silversport. After I posted that I wondered just how old my mag springs were. Got my answer today at the range.:tdown: Had some new ammo made with my own cast boolits to test. Dug out all the mags I could find too, just for grins. Even dug out my old duty gun! One mag FTC'd the last round, then did it again. Then another mag did it once, then a third mag. :wtf: None of these are mags I usually carry but they all have the same age springs, all getting new ones as soon as the Big Brown Truck can get them here.

· Registered
311 Posts
My experiences with 1911 mags.

My Springfield Loaded Champion came with Wilson mags when I picked it up used. They feed ok but will not reliably lock the slide back. Tried Taurus mags from my PT 1911, and borrowed and tried several others with varying degrees of feeding success and intermittent lockback.

I ordered a couple Springfield GI 7rd SS mags and they function and feed and lock reliably. Makes sense, commander size gun with 7 round mags the same brand as the gun. Works for me.

The Taurus mags were also less than stellar performers in the PT1911 but I found some that work fine in it but not the Springfield. My son has the PT 1911 right now and I don't remember the brand of the mags.

Point of all this, try several if you can, then whatever seems to work well, buy extras. Others can recommend or point out junk but only trial and error will tell for sure. Just like determining ammo a gun likes.

· Premium Member
190 Posts
My 1911 shooting buddies seem to prefer the Wilsons but they sometimes fail to lock open and also experience the kind of cracked lips that Carmex won't help with.;) When my trusty Randals gave out over 20 years ago I went with Chip McCormick's Shooting Stars. They're basically Mil-Spec with tighter tolerances & 8-rd capacity and after all these years have only needed cleaning and new springs. All seven got new springs this morning, good to go for another 8-10 years.:tup:

· Banned
721 Posts
I have had good experiences with McCormick, Wilson and Tripp 8 round mags.
These are the mags that work in all of my 1911s. It is too hard to keep track of which brand of mag does or does not work in which 1911, so if it does not work in all of them I pass them on to a pal who doesn't have to keep track of a stable.

I just ordered up some McCormick 8 round Shooting Stars (that all of my 1911s also like) to load up my 1911s with the Ed Brown-style bobbed grips. For me at least, the bobbed grips look a bit wrong with the extended plastic base pads protruding from the otherwise svelt grip frame.

As the Oberstlt says, one should consider mags to be consumables and not something to be kept for the life of the pistol. When they go bad I either delegate them to range use or crush 'em up so that they won't get co-mingled with the good ones.

Paraphrasing someone on another forum: It's OK to kill them. They're not puppies.

61 - 80 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.