Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
41 - 60 of 87 Posts

· Premium Member
2,284 Posts

· Premium Member
3,910 Posts
Hello. A few years ago, I tried the Tripp magazine upgrade kits on a couple of my "problem" magazines. Both worked fine after that, feeding as slick as the proverbial gut and never failing to engage the slide stop after the last shot. To make a long story short, I fixed my "maybe" and "problem" 1911 magazines. True enough they are seven-shooters but some were before and for me, no problem. I cannot speak for all people and all 1911's but in my case, these Tripp upgrade kits did the trick 100%.

Best.

· Regulator,
3,515 Posts
oberstlt,

I haven't had much luck with glue on pads. However, the Pachmayr screw on pads are "the schnitz". Available from Brownells, they come 5 pads per pack. Included are the drill, drill template, and ten self threading screws. PN: 692-700-000 Price: $25.00 per pack retail.

A word to the wise. If your installing these on Colt factory mags get a few extra drills, preferably TIN coated. The base plates are harder than woodpecker lips and "eat" drills. I was going through a new drill every 3 to 4 holes I drilled. Installation requires two holes drilled per magazine.

Also, the magazine bases are hard enough to where I snapped one screw trying to "self-thread" it!

Anyone know the Rockwell on these?

Replacement drill size is: 3/32"

Hope this helps you folks.

By the way, Colt magazine quality is apparent. I buy the polished stainless models. Spendy, but the quality of Wilson mags has degraded, IMHO. This based on a recent purchase of the model 47 Wilson's mags.

Haven't bought directly from Checkmate or Metalform so can't comment on their "factory" spec mags. Those with the Colt Pony are good to go...

Wes

· Registered
42 Posts
I generally only buy Colt brand 1911's. (It's the only name I think of when I think about 45 Autos) and have never had any issues with the 7 round Colt mags. I don't use 8 round mags at all. For my aftermarket mags, I use Checkmate, Mec-Gar & Metal Form only. I am not a Wison fan at all.

· Registered
3,430 Posts
Will, I would like to answer that. There are several other manufacturers/importers of bad mags so I am not just picking on KKK.

It has been a mystery to me for some time as to why people will pay $500-800 for a semiauto and then put a crappy Pakki mag made over a dung fire by two guys with a hammer and some sheet steel for roofing. It is reminiscent of buying a car like a Mercedes and putting cheap tires on it! But I see it at every gun show when the "clips" guy sells bad magazines to people.

The unhappy fact of the issue is that most folks do not shoot their guns very often and when they do they tend to skimp on mags, ammo and often maintenance. I see it all the time at the range when guests show up with a poorly lubed gun, bad reloads and these type of bargain "clips". They apparently think that the gun should have stoppages during their shooting.

There are plenty of unscrupulous merchants out there who sell these abominable things as GI because they have duplicated the NSN packaging formerly used by the military. The military does not use such anymore and the stocks have long since dried up. On the M1911s I have seen in recent years, the mags were generally high quality replacements. I think the USMC specified Wilson's for their latest 1911s.

M1911s get a bad rap for a number of reasons. First, they are in fact difficult to learn to shoot in comparison to a 9mm P. Simple physics there with a 230 grain versus a 115/124 grain bullet. Next, many are fed bad ammo - the gun was originally designed to feed GI FMJ ball ammo and to make them reliable with JHPs requires some doing. Also, these guns require lubrication and maintenance as they are not Glocks. Modern polymer pistols have spoiled us in that they are nearly GI proof. Lastly, you have to use quality magazines correct for the ammo. I use GI spec CheckMates for ball and the high dollar aftermarkets (Wilson, Baer, Brown, Wolff) for JHPs.

No one ever went broke underestimating the gullibility of the American public.

Oh and I left off one other thing I see regularly. We tend to be our own gunsmiths with regard to M1911s. Maybe because there are nearly limitless accessories available, I have over the years tried to make up for my lack of skill with a technological fix. M1911s were (before CNC machining) hand fit by skilled personnel. Bolt on accessories cause lots of issues because they don't bolt on.

I no longer cut my own hair, do my own taxes and have even given up doing surgery on myself. When an issue develops, I get it addressed by someone who is demonstrably knowledgeable about the M1911. Mine now run but it has taken me since 1973 to get that figured out.

· Regulator,
3,515 Posts
Oberstlt,

Well said!!! I've often had the same sentiments and voiced them.

In spite of everything, when going in harms way, during my service years it was with a old Remington Rand. I can't recall ever having a stoppage with one. I have seen sights fly off, etc, but the pistol still ran.

One big problem is armorers...they seem to think that if a pistol will cycle (barely) the recoil springs are "good". Not so! One reason why we saw so many cracked 1911 frames, I'm sure.

When issued a pistol I always replaced the springs with my own that met the original 16 lb. specification and were high grade.

God, I miss that pistol. It sure would be good to fondle on this Veteran's Day!

Wes

· Registered
645 Posts
+2 with oberstlt and weshowe, simply put, I still use 7rd GI mags in all my 1911's, with the one exception of the plastic Taurus PT145. BTW Wes, I did pull out dad's '43 Remington Rand yesterday and fondled it, its still by far my favorite 1911A1, and it brought back many memories.

· Registered
86 Posts
Chip McCormick 8-Rd Shooting Stars @ Brownell's (about $18.00), Springfield Armory Factory Mags (come cheap w/ Coupon on new gun purchase) Colt Factory mags- all had worked well for me as an LEO having to qualify 4 times a year (at leat 100 rds per session for score). Carry the Chips on duty.

· Premium Member
2,284 Posts
Hello,

The fellow that did the mag testing that is linked in my above post, has added a Part II to his testing.

It's quite a read and he has put fourt some great effort.

Here's the link: http://how-i-did-it.org/magazines2/

41 - 60 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.